Regnier Earns Hat Trick, Wolf Solid as Everett Pulls away from Portland
EVERETT, Wash. - Ethan Regnier earned the first hat trick of his WHL career while goaltender Dustin Wolf made 37 saves to help the Everett Silvertips knock off the Portland Winterhawks in a 6-2 victory at Angel of the Winds Arena in downtown Everett, Sunday in WHL action.
The win elevated the Silvertips to a seven point lead for first place in the U.S. Division at 11-3 (22 points) with 10 games remaining, also earning their eighth straight win over the Winterhawks dating back to 2019-20. The Silvertips never trailed and won for the seventh time in eight games (7-1) on home ice.
UP NEXT: The Silvertips take a three-day break and return to play on Thursday, 6:10 p.m. (KRKO/WHL Live) in the third meeting of the season against the Spokane Chiefs to start the team's only stretch of three games in three days. Viewing packages remain on sale at watch.chl.ca. Play-by-play "Voice of the Tips" Mike Benton will have pre-game coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop.
The Tips maneuvered through a scoreless first period, outshot 18-7 and lifted by Wolf's 18 stops, including three point blank saves early to keep Portland off the board. Regnier eventually buried the first goal of the game at 9:42 of the second period, taking a deflected puck off traffic from Aidan Sutter's point shot, and burying a wrist shot past Dante Giannuzzi from the inside of the right circle.
Another quick strike happened on the next shift, 32 seconds later when Jalen Price's first goal of the year staked the Silvertips to a 2-0 lead. Max Graham generated a point shot when he threw the puck to Zach Ashton, who barely missed the net but Price, perfectly stationed at the left post, quickly reacted to deflect the rebound past Giannuzzi to energize Price's teammates and the Silvertips bench.
Seth Jarvis cut the Tips lead to 2-1 when he buried a loose puck that slipped through traffic and into the slot, but the Regnier converted a centering pass at 16:23 for his second goal of the game and fifth of the year, set up by Jacob Wright.
Ryan McCleary's rebound goal with 23.7 seconds left in the period cut the deficit to a goal once again, but the Silvertips put pedal to metal with a trio of third period goals, pulling away for the win. Hunter Campbell, setting a screen at the net, got a piece of Ashton's point shot for a 4-2 lead at 2:13. Ryan Hofer followed with his third goal of the season, stashing a rebound after Austin Roest's miss off the boards at 8:07, sending Giannuzzi to the bench for backup Brock Gould.
Regnier then delivered the finishing touches for the hat trick on a four-minute power play, after Simon Knak was caught for high sticking Aidan Sutter. Regnier cruised through traffic and unloaded a snap shot past Gould from the left circle for a 6-2 lead with 4:27 left.
3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. Ethan Regnier (EVT)
2. Dustin Wolf (EVT)
3. Aidan Sutter (EVT)
GAME NOTES: Silvertips scratches included U18 departures Braden Holt and Olen Zellweger, while Brendan Lee and Ty Gibson sat with injuries ... Fonstad's goal scoring streak, tied for third longest in the league this season at five games, ended tonight but he increased his point streak to six straight games ... Jackson Berezowski, held without a point for three straight games after getting on the scoresheet for the first 10 games, earned an assist on Regnier's second goal ... Regnier's hat trick was the second for the Tips this season, joining Gage Goncalves.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2021
- Broncos Fall 5-2 to ICE in Season Series Finale - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Rally Past Broncos 5-2 - Winnipeg Ice
- WHL Announces 2020-21 Season to Conclude Following Regular Season Schedule - WHL
- Three Wheat Kings Named to WHL East Division Team of the Week Presented by Re/Max - Brandon Wheat Kings
- WHL Announces East Division Team of the Week Presented by RE/MAX - WHL
- WHL Announces B.C. Hub Team of the Week Presented by RE/MAX - WHL
- Wheat Kings Forward McCartney Named WHL Player of the Week Presented by Journie Rewards - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Nolan Maier Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - Saskatoon Blades
- Pre Game Report Presented by Imperial Steel - ICE vs Broncos - April 19, 2021 - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades' Goaltender Maier Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Wheat Kings' Forward McCartney Named WHL Player of the Week Presented by Journie Rewards - WHL
- Broncos Down Blades 3-2 in Shootout - Swift Current Broncos
- Broncos Face ICE in Rematch of Friday's Game - Swift Current Broncos
- Raiders Win Streak Snapped in Physical Game Against Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Blank the Kamloops Blazers 4-0, Earn Fifth Shutout of the Season - Vancouver Giants
- Regnier Earns Hat Trick, Wolf Solid as Everett Pulls away from Portland - Everett Silvertips
- Oil Kings Rebound in Lethbridge, Beat Hurricanes 5-3 - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Garrett Pilon Becomes the 20th Silvertip to Play in the National Hockey League
- Silvertips Put Bow on Campaign with 4-1 Victory
- Silvertips Smother Spokane, 5-1
- Goncalves, 'Tips Rally for Shootout Win over Seattle
- Kasper Puutio Signs Two-Year Contract with KalPa Kuopio of the Finnish Elite League