RedHawks clinch West Division second half title
FARGO, N.D. - For the fourth consecutive time in two years the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks have captured another Northern League half after clinching the West Division second half title with a 10-7 win over the Calgary Vipers on Monday at Foothills Stadium in Calgary, Alberta.
The win for Fargo-Moorhead improves the RedHawks to 28-13 during the second half and gives them a 7 1/2 lead over Edmonton with the Cracker-Cats having only seven games remaining in the half.
Overall this season the RedHawks are 60-29, marking the second consecutive season and the fourth time in franchise history that Fargo-Moorhead has eclipsed the 60-win mark. Only one other team in Northern League history has reached the 60-game win mark since the reformation of the league in 1993. St. Paul accomplished the feat during the 2004 season on their way to a Northern League Championship.
In each of the previous seasons that Fargo-Moorhead has won 60 games (1998, 2003, 2005) they have advanced to the Northern League Championship series, capturing league titles in two of the three.
The RedHawks will finish their season with eight games in Alberta with four more coming against Calgary, including a Wednesday doubleheader, and will conclude the 2006 regular season with a three-game set in Edmonton.
With another title in hand the RedHawks have opened the door for a wild card spot in this years playoffs. Currently the Winnipeg Goldeyes have a three-game lead over the Gary SouthShore RailCats for the wild card position. Kansas City is 2 ½ games back of Winnipeg but leads the East Division which would qualify them for the playoffs without using the wild card.
Fargo-Moorhead will host the first two games of the opening series of the playoffs against the wild card team on Sept. 5-6. If a Game 5 is needed in that series it will be held at Newman Outdoor Field on Sept. 10.
• Discuss this story on the Northern League message board...
Northern League Stories from August 29, 2006
- Vipers fall to RedHawks 6-4 - Calgary Vipers
- Edmonton eliminated from playoff race - Edmonton Capitals
- RailCats split doubleheader with Schaumburg - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Flyers win game one 1-0; drop second game 8-2 - Schaumburg Flyers
- JackHammers game canceled on Tuesday - Joliet JackHammers
- JackHammers rained out on Tuesday - Joliet JackHammers
- T-Bones rained out Tuesday in Joliet - Kansas City Monarchs
- Flyers postseason one week away, tickets on sale now - Schaumburg Flyers
- RedHawks clinch West Division second half title - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Northern League recap - NL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks Bolstered with Key Signings
- RedHawks Re-Sign Grauer & Davis, Add 3 New Players for 2024
- RedHawks Bring Back Grauer, Davis; Add Depth to Roster
- RedHawks and MWC Advertising of Fargo-Moorhead Renew Broadcast Deal
- RedHawks Renew Broadcast Deal with MWC Advertising Fargo-Moorhead