RailCats split doubleheader with Schaumburg
Gary, Ind. The Gary SouthShore RailCats and Schaumburg Flyers endured a windy, rainy night on Tuesday and played over four hours of baseball as the two clubs split a doubleheader. Schaumburg won the first game 1-0 and Gary took the nightcap, 8-2.
The RailCats remained two and one-half games out of first place in the Northern League Eastern Division with six games to play in the regular season. First place Kansas City and second place Joliet were rained out of their game on Tuesday.
In game one on Tuesday, Schaumburg starting pitcher Dave Dobosz and reliever Nate Cotton combined to scatter six hits and strand eight runners while Rob Watson drove in the only run of the game with a double in the sixth inning to bring in Sandy Almonte from third base.
In the second game, Gary's Andy Rohleder hit a second inning two-run home run and Tanner Townsend and Jermaine Allensworth each added two-run singles as Willie Glen earned his 10th win of the season. Glen allowed two runs over five and two-thirds innings, giving up four hits and three walks while striking out four to improve to 10-5 on the year.
The RailCats host the Flyers in the third game of the series on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. at U. S. Steel Yard. Travis Kerber (3-5, 3.07) will start for Gary against Schaumburg's Blake Williams (6-4, 2.78).
The RailCats and Flyers will wrap up the series on Thursday at 7:05 before Kansas City comes to town for a four game set starting Friday with a doubleheader beginning at 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northern League message board...
Northern League Stories from August 29, 2006
- Vipers fall to RedHawks 6-4 - Calgary Vipers
- Edmonton eliminated from playoff race - Edmonton Capitals
- RailCats split doubleheader with Schaumburg - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Flyers win game one 1-0; drop second game 8-2 - Schaumburg Flyers
- JackHammers game canceled on Tuesday - Joliet JackHammers
- JackHammers rained out on Tuesday - Joliet JackHammers
- T-Bones rained out Tuesday in Joliet - Kansas City Monarchs
- Flyers postseason one week away, tickets on sale now - Schaumburg Flyers
- RedHawks clinch West Division second half title - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Northern League recap - NL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats End 2023 on a High Note, Defeat Milkmen
- Cardiac 'Cats Catch Milkmen Late in Back-And-Forth Thriller
- RailCats Powerless to Stop Red-Hot Milkmen Offense
- Middle-Inning Deficit Proves Too Much to Overcome in Series Opener
- Dogs Score Big Early, Take Down RailCats in Finale