Red Sox Season Ends with 6-3 Loss
WILMINGTON, Delaware - The Salem Red Sox season drew to a close with a 6-3 loss to the Wilmington Blue Rocks in Game Five of the Carolina League North Division Championship Sunday afternoon at Frawley Stadium.
How it Happened
* Wilmington delivered a solo shot in the third and two-run bomb in the fourth inning for a 3-0 lead.
* Keith Curcio and Kole Cottam knocked consecutive doubles in the sixth inning to break up the shutout and cut the lead 3-1.
* The Blue Rocks re-claimed the difference 4-1 with an RBI double by Michael Gigliotti in the seventh.
* Salem rallied the bases loaded in the eighth with walks from Victor Acosta, Kole Cottam and Triston Casas. Tyler Esplin reached safely as Wilmington botched a fielder's choice to cut the lead in half. Jerry Downs knocked a pinch-hit single and the Sox pulled within one run, 4-3.
* Once again, Wilmington rallied with an RBI single and sacrifice bunt to push away 6-3 in the bottom of the frame.
* Salem rallied in the ninth, Acosta, Cottam and Casas all connected for singles to load the bases before Wilmington drew the final out to advance to the Mills Cup Championship.
* Keith Curcio: 2-for-5, R, 2B
* Kole Cottam: 2-for-4, RBI, R, 2B
* Jerry Downs: 1-for-1, RBI
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 8, 2019
- Rocks Headed to Mills Cup Championship Series - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Fayetteville Holds off Down East to Win South Division Title - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship - Down East Wood Ducks
- Red Sox Season Ends with 6-3 Loss - Salem Red Sox
- September 8 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.