Red Bulls Fall 1-0 to Philadelphia in Round One of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
The New York Red Bulls fall to the Philadelphia Union, 1-0 in overtime of the 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Round One.
Philadelphia Union opened the scoring in the 123rd minute, when New York cleared the ball out of their eighteen-yard box and the ball fell to defender Jakob Glesnes, who volleyed the ball in the top right of the net.
This was New York's fifth career overtime playoff match and the first one since October 20, 2019, against the Philadelphia Union.
10 Red Bulls players made their MLS postseason debuts, which includes Carlos Coronel, Tom Edwards, Omir Fernandez, Andrew Gutman, Sean Nealis, Fábio, Andrés Reyes, Patyrk Klimala, John Tolkin, and Youba Diarra.
New York midfielder Daniel Royer made his 11th career playoff appearance, which is the most among active Red Bulls players.
Red Bulls captain Sean Davis played every minute of all 35 matches across all competitions this season, which added up to 3,180 minutes.
New York Red Bulls 0, Philadelphia Union 1
Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Round One
Saturday, November 20, 2021 - 2:30 p.m. ET
Subaru Park | Chester, PA
PHI - Jakob Glesnes (unassisted) 120'+3
NY - Dru Yearwood (caution, foul) 15'
NY - Andrew Gutman (caution, time wasting) 51'
NY - Tom Edwards (caution, time wasting) 52'
PHI - Jose Martinez (caution, dissent) 74'
NY - Andrés Reyes (caution, foul) 79'
New York Red Bulls: Carlos Coronel; Kyle Duncan, Andrew Gutman, Sean Nealis, Andrés Reyes (John Tolkin, FT), Tom Edwards, Sean Davis ©, Dru Yearwood (Youba Diarra, 115'), Cristian Cásseres, Jr., Omir Fernandez (Caden Clark, 73') (Daniel Royer, 116'), Fábio (Patryk Klimala, 58')
Unused Subs: Ryan Meara, Lucas Monzón, Frankie Amaya, Wiki Carmona
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS: 22; POSSESSION: 53.9%; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 2
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Kai Wagner, Jakob Glesnes, Jack Elliott, Alvas Powell; Jose Martinez, Leon Flach (Jack McGlynn, 86'), Alejandro Bedoya © (Jesus Bueno, 110'), Paxten Aaronson (Sergio Santos, 61'), Daniel Gazdag, Kacper Przybylko (Cory Burke, 86')
Unused Subs: Matthew Freese, Stuart Findlay, Nathan Harriel, Quinn Sullivan, Ilsinho
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 10; POSSESSION: 46.1%; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 4
Referee: Fotis Bazakos
Assistant Referees: Frank Anderson, Oscar Mitchell- Carvalho
4th Official: Rubiel Vazquez
VAR: Geoff Gamble
AVAR: Andrew Bigelow
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 20, 2021
- Sporting Earns 3-1 Playoff Win over Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- 'Caps incredible 202' season comes to an end - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Glesnes scores extra time stoppage time goal; Union advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Fall 1-0 to Philadelphia in Round One of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- Four Out, One Questionable for Round 1 - New York City FC
- Kortne Ford to Compete in USL 2021 Championship Playoffs Western Conference Final - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York City FC - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC at Portland Timbers Preview - Minnesota United FC
- CF Montréal Hosts Toronto FC Sunday in the Canadian Championship Final - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: 2021 Copa Rayados International - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Face off against Charlotte FC for the First Time in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- Red Bulls Suffer 2-0 Defeat to Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Travel to South Florida to Battle Inter Miami CF on Sunday
- New York Red Bulls Captain Aaron Long Selected to USMNT Roster for June Matches
- Red Bulls to Host FC Barcelona on July 30 at Red Bull Arena