Real Salt Lake Ousts Portland Timbers 2-1 to Advance in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (3 West) advanced to its second consecutive Western Conference Semifinals with a 2-1 win over the Portland Timbers on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
FW Damir Kreialch and FW Jefferson Savarino notched goals on either side of halftime as GK Nick Rimando's thrilling second half performance helped RSL advance in the 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
RSL controlled the opening 30 minutes of the match, pressuring the Portland goal and goalkeeper Steve Clark. RSL found the go-ahead goal in the 28th minute when Kreilach's header found the back of the net. RSL stood strong defensively to see the 1-0 lead into halftime.
Almost immediately after the second half whistle blew, the Timbers equalized in the 47th minute when Dairon Asprilla headed home the game-tying goal. With the score level, both sides pushed for the equalizer, as the Timbers forced Rimando into multiple big saves to keep the match level. In the dying moments of the match, it was RSL who took the upper hand when FW Joao Platasprinted down the left side of the field and released a cross through the top of the box. MF Albert RusnÃ¡k jumped over the pass, leaving Savarino unmarked inside the box to tuck home the game-winning goal.
Postgame quotes from RSL v POR.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will travel to Washington to take on Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday, October 23 at 8:00p MT from CenturyLink Field. The match will be televised on FS1.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Corey Baird), 28th minute: Fielding the ball near the far touchline, Baird picked his head up and sent a cross into the box. Kreilach stayed onside and met the ball with a glancing header that easily found the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
POR: Dairon Asprilla (Sebastian Blanco), 47th minute: Pressing RSL right from the second-half whistle, the Timbers earned a corner kick that Blanco served in. Asprilla snuck between his two defenders to head home the equalizing goal.
RSL: Jefferson Savarino 87th minute: In the final moments of the match Joao Plata barreled down the left side of field and sent a pass along the top of the box. Albert RusnÃ¡k dummied the pass, leaving Savarino unmarked in the box. After collecting the ball, Savarino sent a rolling shot within a narrow margin between the goalkeeper and the near post for the game-winner.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS:
POR: Steve Clark, 15th minute: A scramble near the edge of the penalty area saw the ball pop out to Aaron Herrera who collected the ball and set up a shot. Herrera elected to volley from distance and nearly found the top corner, but Clarke's recovery save was enough to usher the ball over the bar.
- RSL advanced to its second consecutive Western Conference Semifinal with its 2-1 victory over the Timbers.
- Damir Kreilach scored his seventh goal of the 2019 season after scoring six in the regular season.
- Jefferson Savarino scored his ninth goal of the year in the victory after notching eight goals in the 2019 regular season.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Portland Timbers
Date: October 19, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Cloudy and 44 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 1 2
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Corey Baird) 28'
POR: Dairon Asprila (Sebastian Blanco) 47'
RSL: Jefferson Savarino 87'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Aaron Herrera, Marcelo Silva, Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Kyle Beckerman, Everton Luiz;Jefferson Savarino, Albert RusnÃ¡k (Kelyn Rowe 89'), Corey Baird (Joao Plata 77'); Damir Kreilach (Sam Johnson 77').
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Justen Glad, Brooks Lennon, Sebastian Saucedo
Portland Timbers: (4-2-3-1): Steve Clarke; Bill Tuiloma, Jorge Moreira, Larrys Mabiala, Jorge Villafana (Claude Dielna 90+3'); Diego Chara, Sebastian Blanco, Cristhian Paredes; Andy Polo (Marvin Loria 89'), Dairon Asprilla, Jeremy Ebobisse (Diego Valeri 63').
Subs not used: Aljaz Ivacic, Renzon Zambrano, Zarek Valentin, Andres Flores
Stats Summary: RSL / POR
Shots: 16 / 12
Shots on Goal: 7 / 4
Saves: 3 / 5
Corner Kicks: 2 / 6
Fouls: 10 / 9
Offside: 4 / 6
POR: Sebastian Blanco (caution) 39'
RSL: Jefferson Savarino (caution) 44'
RSL: Kyle Beckerman (caution) 57'
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Kyle Atkins
4th Official: Ramy Touchan
VAR: David Gantar
AVAR: Jeff Muschik
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Union win first playoff game in franchise history - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Fall Short to Philadelphia, 4-3 in Overtime - New York Red Bulls
- Post-Match Facts: Toronto FC V. D.C. United - D.C. United
- Timbers 2019 Campaign Comes to An End in First Round of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Ousts Portland Timbers 2-1 to Advance in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Real Salt Lake
- Home-Field Advantage Leads Four Clubs to Advance to Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Conference Semifinals - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Travels to San Jose in Vital Western Conference Clash
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw with FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Faces FC Dallas on Saturday for the First Time in 2020
- Real Salt Lake Downs Portland Timbers FC 2-1
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Portland Timbers FC to Utah and Wednesday