Real Salt Lake Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake Head Coach Freddy Juarez announced today that the club has mutually agreed to part ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall. He has joined the coaching staff of FC Cincinnati's academy, a move that puts him closer to home and his family.
"I want to say thank you to Jeff Cassar, Mike Petke and Freddy Juarez for giving me the opportunity to be on their staffs. One of the big reasons I came to Salt Lake City was because I knew there was an opportunity as a young coach to grow within the professional ranks. I also want to say thank you to everyone at RSL that has been a part of my journey in Utah," Marshall said. "During the pandemic, my family moved back to Kentucky to be closer with my wife's mother. When the opportunity arose to join them in Kentucky while continuing my coaching progression, we couldn't pass that up. Cincinnati provides me a great opportunity to challenge myself and grow as a coach."
Marshall joined the RSL coaching staff in 2015 after a 15-year Major League Soccer career that saw him win MLS Cup twice, the Supporters' Shield twice and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup three times. After his retirement following the 2012 season, he returned to Kentucky, where he previously starred at Lindsey Wilson College before his professional career. Before joining RSL's staff, he led the River City Rovers in the PDL while also coaching youth soccer in Kentucky.
"We want to thank Tyrone from the bottom of our hearts. He has been a big part of our success at Real Salt Lake during his tenure," Juarez said. "As someone who aspires to be a head coach, this is a great opportunity for him to continue his progression and stay close to his family. We will be rooting for him and he will always have a place in the RSL family."
Earlier this month Juarez announced that Assistant Coach Pablo Mastroeni and Goalkeeper Coach Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez joined the first team staff. The club is in the midst of a search to round out the rest of the coaching staff. RSL opens preseason training camp on March 8, with the MLS regular season scheduled to kick off on April 17.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 25, 2021
- Real Salt Lake Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall - Real Salt Lake
- New England Revolution and Gillette Stadium Ready to Welcome Fans for 2021 Major League Soccer Season - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Confirms Squad Numbers for 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- NWSL Announces 2021 Allocated Players List - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils 2021 "Lakefront" Primary and Secondary Jerseys - Chicago Fire FC
- Willie Nelson Concert at Toyota Stadium Moves to October 2, Along with National Soccer Hall of Fame Weekend - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Sign Center Back Stuart Findlay - Philadelphia Union
- Thierry Henry Leaves CF Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Unveil "Dynamic Kit" as Club's New Primary Kit - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Signs U.S. Forward Bobby Wood
- RSL-AZ Announces World-Class Training Complex
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Regular Season Schedule
- Real Salt Lake Announces Preseason Match against Sacramento Republic FC for Season Ticket Holders
- Real Salt Lake's Noah Powder Named to Trinidad and Tobago World Cup Qualifying Squad