Rapids Fall to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Thanksgiving Day Semifinal Playoff Match
The Rapids capped off a historic season in front of a home crowd on Thanksgiving Day as they fell to the Portland Timbers 1-0 and were eliminated from the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park.
After a scoreless first half, the Rapids held the attacking advantage, recording 57% possession and out-shooting Portland nine to two. Jack Price took all five of Colorado's corners in the first 45. Seven different members of the Rapids squad had at least one shot on goal, with Diego Rubio and Dominique Badji recording two apiece. The Sengalese striker offered the most promising chance of the half, taking a header from inside the six in the 38th minute that Portland's Steve Clark scrambled to block before the ball bounced out of bounds.
It wasn't until the 90th minute that either side was able to convert a goal. On their fourth corner of the night, the Timbers took advantage of a flurry of activity inside the box, and Larrys Mabiala was the one to finally find the back of the net for the only goal of the match.
After finishing at the top of the Western Conference to conclude the regular season with 61 points and clinching a playoff berth for the second consecutive year under Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year finalist Robin Fraser, the Rapids have numerous accomplishments to look back on from their 2021 campaign.
One such accomplishment is Colorado's place in the Scotiabank 2022 Concacaf Champions League, a spot they earned through their first place finish in the West. The Rapids will learn their Round of 16 opponent on December 15, the official draw date of CCL.
The Rapids finish the 2021 season with a 17-8-10 record and positive outlook for growth in 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 25, 2021
- Timbers Advance to Western Conference Final with 1-0 Win over Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Fall to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Thanksgiving Day Semifinal Playoff Match - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids to Launch 'Rapids 2' Team in MLS NEXT Pro
- FAQ: Rapids 2 and MLS NEXT Pro
- Kellyn Acosta Nominated for U.S. Soccer's Player of the Year Award
- The 12 Biggest Storylines from the Rapids 2021 Season
- Mark-Anthony Kaye up for Canada Soccer Player of the Year