Rainmen Capture Atlantic Division Championship
(Charlottetown,PE): The Halifax Rainmen picked up their tenth consecutive victory and secured the Atlantic Division Championship on Thursday evening with a 108-94 victory over the Island Storm. The win secures Halifax a first round playoff match-up against the Moncton Miracles.
With so much on the line the Rainmen came out with a strong effort in the first half, leading by as many as 24 points in the second quarter. The Island Storm couldn't seem to find their stride in the first 24 minutes, getting out rebounded by the Rainmen and failing to find away to crack Halifax's defensive pressure. Taking a 55-41 lead into halftime Halifax seemed poised to run away with the contest. The third quarter proved to be an entirely different ball game, with the Island Storm battling back to within six, proving why they were top of the division for so long. With Halifax holding a nine point lead, 82-73, to start the fourth quarter fans inside Eastlink Centre knew it was going to be a wild game down the stretch. Key three point shooting brought the Storm close at points during the final frame, however Halifax was able to shut their opponents down defensively once again and get hot on offense at the right time, pulling away as the game came to a close.
Kevin Young led all Rainmen scorers with 20 points on the evening, he also finished with 7 rebounds. Cliff Clinkscales had 16 points and Chris Cayole contributed 15 against his former team. Jermaine Dailey was Halifax's leading rebounder with 8. The Storm were led by Nick Okorie, who had 19 points. Mike Williams had 17 points, and Louis Birdsong Jr had 9 rebounds for the Storm.
Halifax now gets set to face the Moncton Miracles in the opening round of the NBL Canada Playoffs. Playoff packages are available by contacting the Rainmen Office at (902) 444-RAIN(7246). Don't miss out on all the exciting action yet to come from your Halifax Rainmen!
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from February 26, 2015
- A's Match Franchise High in Win over Miracles - Orangeville A's
- Rainmen Capture Atlantic Division Championship - Halifax Rainmen
- Playoffs Set as Rainmen Drop Storm for Atlantic Division Title - Island Storm
- Mill Rats out Shot by London in Regular Season Finale - Saint John Riptide
- Lightning Strike Mill Rats, Sweep Maritimes - London Lightning
- Division Title on the Line Tonight vs. Storm - Halifax Rainmen
- Dates Set For NBL Quarterfinal Series - Windsor Express
- Season Ticket Holder Mixer Precedes Mill Rats-London Tonight - Saint John Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse