RailCats Swept by Milkmen in 8-3 Loss
MILWAUKEE, Wis. - In the series finale, the Gary SouthShore RailCats (23-32) fell to the Milwaukee Milkmen (35-20) by a score of 8-3 as the Milkmen pulled off the sweep at Franklin Field in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
While the Gary SouthShore RailCats jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the opening frame, the Milkmen would leap back in front after a two-run shot by Adam Brett Walker II in the bottom of the first, his league-leading twenty-third home run of the year. Walker II would go 2-for-5 in the win following a 4-for-5 effort the day prior.
Just two innings later, the RailCats would allow the first six batters of the third to reach safely, four of which got on base via singles. A six-run third inning was capped off by a Brett Vertigan two-RBI single to extend the lead to 8-1 after three.
Silber locked in for the rest of the game, but nonetheless suffered his first loss of the season after six innings on the mound, nine hits, eight runs, three walks and six strikeouts.
In relief, Sandy Lugo went the rest of the way with two innings of scoreless baseball, his first scoreless outing of an inning or more this season.
With two down in the seventh, the RailCats strung together three-straight hits to score a pair as Ryan Cash got the rally going with a double into left.
Tommy McCarthy added his second hit of the day to score Cash on a single before Tom Walraven laced a double down the left-field line to plate McCarthy.
Milkmen starter Misael Siverio had his best and longest start of the season as he threw seven innings, allowing three runs on nine hits and three walks with two strikeouts.
The Gary SouthShore RailCats will culminate their 10-game road trip with a make-up game against the Chicago Dogs tomorrow, July 19 at Impact Field in Chicago, Illinois.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 18, 2021
- Cleburne Fights off Explorers Rally, Wins Ninth Straight Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Don't Panic, Deliver in the Clutch to Sweep Apollos - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Outbat RedHawks 10-5 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wyatt Ulrich Reaches for 41st Straight Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs Finish off Sweep in Sioux Falls - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Fish Fry Hawks in Afternoon Matinee - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Monarchs Start Slow, Not Enough to Sweep the Series - Kansas City Monarchs
- RailCats Swept by Milkmen in 8-3 Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Perez, Bats Help Goldeyes Power Past Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Haug Patrols Basepaths, Sets Table for Explosive Eighth Inning - Chicago Dogs
- Bullard Delivers Debut Gem to Lift Railroaders - Cleburne Railroaders
- X's Clobbered by Cleburne to Even Series - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Travieso and Big Blasts Cage the Cougars - Kansas City Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.