Quad Cities Shuts Out Wisconsin 7-0
GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers had a rough go against the Quad Cities River Bandits on Tuesday night at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Noah Cameron and two relievers combined for sixteen strikeouts and held the Rattlers to four hits in a 7-0 win in game one of the six-game series.
Quad Cities (13-21) took the lead in the top of the second inning on an RBI single by Shervyen Newton.
Gavin Cross, the #1 prospect in the Kansas City Royals system, put the River Bandits up 3-0 with a two-run home run in the top of the third.
Cross added another run with an RBI double in the top of the fifth. He would score on an RBI fielder's choice by River Town later in the inning and the Bandits were up 5-0.
Wisconsin (11-22) had their best chance to score against Cameron in the bottom of the fifth inning. Eduarqui Fernández doubled with one out. Eric Brown Jr followed with a single to left. Town fired to the plate with Fernández trying to score. The throw was a little offline, but catcher Kale Emshoff was able to apply the tag for the second out. Brown was left stranded at second as Cameron got a popup for the final out of the inning.
Cameron went six innings, allowed four hits, walked one, hit one, and struck out eleven for his second win of the season.
Cross added to the River Bandits lead with another RBI double in the ninth inning. He scored later in the inning on a fielder's choice by Town. Cross ended the game 3-for-5 with three runs scored and four RBI.
Brandon Jordan struck out two over two scoreless innings out of the Quad Cities bullpen. John McMillon struck out the side in the bottom of the ninth for the Bandits.
The Rattlers have been shut out twice this season. Quad Cities has recorded both shutouts.
Brown extended his on-base streak to fifteen games with his single in the fifth inning. He is hitting .340 (17-for-50) with a .944 OPS during his streak.
Game two of the series is Wednesday afternoon. Tyler Woessner (3-1, 2.59) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Quad Cities has named Luinder Avila (2-1, 2.30) as their starter. Game time is 12:10pm.
Wednesday is Weather Day, and the FOX 11 Weather Team will be at the ballpark with a presentation for the kids from 10:30 until 11:00 on the first base side of the stadium. Plus, there will be some interactive displays on the concourse with an appearance from the Storm Chaser Vehicles.
Fans age 55 and older receive a box seat ticket, a Reversable Bucket Hat, a beverage, and a brat or hot dog for $25 as the Silver Foxes Special courtesy of Network Health. This offer is available online this season by using the link above and using coupon code "FOX". Fans may order the Silver Foxes Special in person at the Box Office or over the phone (920) 733-4152, too. The Silver Foxes Special is also available to active and retired military personnel.
If you can't make it out to Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium, the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM starts with the Community Blood Center Pregame Show at 6:20pm. Fans can listen on the radio, on the First Pitch app, or at this link. The internet video feed is available to subscribers of Bally Live, too.
R H E
QC 012 020 002 - 7 10 0
WIS 000 000 000 - 0 4 2
Click here for the boxscore
Gavin Cross (3rd, 1 on in 3rd inning off Stiven Cruz, 0 out)
WP: Noah Cameron (2-2)
LP: Stiven Cruz (1-2)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 16, 2023
- Slow Start Dooms Sky Carp in Opener - Beloit Sky Carp
- Kernels Hold on to Win Fifth Straight, Knock Off Peoria 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Quad Cities Shuts Out Wisconsin 7-0 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three Fort Wayne Pitchers Combine for No-Hitter on Tuesday in Dayton - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps Rally, Pull into 1st Place Tie with 11-10 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Transactions & Game Information: May 16 at Dayton Dragons - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Outslug Loons in 11-10 Shootout - Whitecaps 11, Loons 10 - Great Lakes Loons
- Dayton Dragons Make Roster Moves - Dayton Dragons
- Swain Activated off Temporary Inactive List, Mullenbach Released - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Tuesday (7:05 Game) - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Timber Rattlers Welcome Home Banquet Set for Thursday, April 4
- Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium to Host I-41 Showdown Presented by Holiday Automotive on June 18
- 2024 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Food Fight Starts Today
- Ballpark Digest Honors Neuroscience Group Field as Ballpark of the Year for 2023
- 2024 Timber Rattlers Promotional Calendar: Daily Specials