Portland's Mark Visentin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
January 7, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Portland Pirates goaltender Mark Visentin has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Jan. 6, 2013.
Visentin faced 89 shots over two games on the week and allowed only two goals, helping to keep the Pirates in first place in the AHL's Atlantic Division.
On Wednesday night vs. Providence, Visentin stopped 48 shots - including all 34 he faced over the final two periods - in a 2-1 win over the Bruins. The 48 saves were the most by a Pirates goaltender in a single game since Maxime Ouellet's 49-save effort vs. Saint John on Jan. 12, 2003.
Then on Saturday, Visentin turned aside 39 of 40 shots in a 2-1 win over Bridgeport, extending his personal winning streak to five games.
For the week, Visentin was 2-0-0 with a 1.00 goals-against average and a .978 save percentage in his two starts.
Visentin, a first-round draft pick (27th overall) by Phoenix in 2010, stands at 8-6-1 in 16 appearances for Portland this season, with a 2.58 goals-against average, a .921 save percentage and one shutout. The 20-year-old rookie from Hamilton, Ont., played four junior seasons at Niagara in the Ontario Hockey League and was the OHL's goaltender of the year in 2010-11. He also won silver (2011) and bronze (2012) medals with Canada at the World Junior Championships.
In recognition of his achievement, Visentin will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Pirates home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 7, 2013
- Rocky Roads: Hogs Drop Three in Week 13 - Rockford IceHogs
- Oilers Re-Assign Three to Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Barons
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Alumni to Face PA State Police - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Three Recalled from Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Recall Two from Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sharks Have Won 4 of 5 Heading into Busy Week - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Griffins Host Rivermen, Great Skate Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks to Host "Men's Health Night" Presented by Urology Associates of Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Defenseman Jace Coyle Returns to Texas - Texas Stars
- Bears Announce Roster Changes - Hershey Bears
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Berube Reassigned to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Announce Post Game Concert to Follow Upcoming Chicago Wolves Game - Abbotsford Heat
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Crunch Announce Details of Turning Stone's Jan 11 Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils, GE Host "GE Kids-In-Free Night" - Albany Devils
- Portland's Mark Visentin Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Falcons Recall MacLeod from IceMen - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Stars Call up Two Forwards from Idaho - Texas Stars
- Nicastro Returns to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Four-Game Week Looms For Bears - Hershey Bears
- J.T. Miller Returns to Whale Roster - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Recall Joe Stejskal and Daultan Leveille - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.