Pitching Duel by Hoffman Ends in 5-1 Loss
JOLIET, IL - A pitching duel between Scot Hoffman of the Slammers and Jack Landwehr of the Boomers brought an exciting conclusion to a three-game series between both sides, with the Boomers pulling away late to take the series.
Hoffman and Landwehr did not allow a hit through the first three innings, with Landwehr surrendering the first of the game to Travis Bolin in the bottom of the 4th. Bolin would be caught stretching for second however, and the score held 0-0 through four.
The Slammers ended the scoreless streak in the bottom of the 5th on a single from Tyler Coolbaugh, driving in L.J. Kalawaia from third. A fly out to centerfield from Chaz Meadows would end the inning, with the Slammers hanging on to a 1-0 lead.
After Hoffman was pulled in favor of Cody Clark in the top of the 7th, the Boomers responded to the Slammers' score on an RBI single from Connor Oliver, bringing in Quincy Nieporte from third. The Slammers would not answer in the bottom of the inning after Landwehr was pulled for Darrell Thompson, ending the 7th 1-1.
Following a scoreless 8th from both sides, the floodgates opened in the top of the 9th, with the Boomers driving in four runs in their side. After Julio Gonzalez reached on a single, he advanced to third on a wild pitch from Clark and a groundout from Nieporte. Rayden Sierra would then drive Gonzalez in an RBI single, also moving Nick Oddo over to second after he reached on a walk. Dylan Jones would then send one over the wall to deep right-center, driving in three runs and giving the Boomers a 5-1 cushion entering the bottom of the 9th.
Entering in relief of Dylan Stutsman, Connor Eller would sit down the Slammers in order to end the game 5-1.
Today's Merchants and Manufacturers Bank Player of the Game is Scot Hoffman (6.1 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, and 2 SO).
The Slammers are on the road next, starting a three-game series with the Windy City Thunderbolts on Tuesday, May 21st.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Miners Come Back Late to Sweep Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Come Back, But Fall Late in Finale - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Win Wild Finale over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Miners Sweep ThunderBolts out of Marion - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Washington Drops Finale to Crushers - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Fight Back But Fall to Otters in Finale - Florence Freedom
- Long's Walk-Off Gives Otters 6-5 Win over Florence - Evansville Otters
- Pitching Duel by Hoffman Ends in 5-1 Loss - Joliet Slammers
- Second Straight Late Rally Sends Boomers to Series Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.