Pirates Continue Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness
The 2018 Spring Training marks an historic milestone for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the City of Bradenton as the Club celebrates its 50th season in Bradenton and Manatee, County. To commemorate 50 seasons in Bradenton, the Club has launched their "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness."
The "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness" campaign will include Pirates players, coaches and front office staff taking part in 50 different community-driven events and acts of kindness during their time in Bradenton this spring.
Since 1969, the Pirates have called Bradenton the team's southern home and over that time have continued to enhance its commitment to supporting the local community. The Pirates maintain a year-round presence in the Bradenton community and, while there, the Major League players and staff are encouraged to take part in community events during the spring season, with the minor league players and staff continuing the support throughout the Bradenton Marauders' (High-A) and the Gulf Coast Pirates' (Rookie) seasons.
The events slated for this week of the "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness" are below.
1. Tuesday, February 27 (11:30 a.m.- 2 p.m.) 15th Annual Caring Hearts Luncheon
The Caring Hearts Luncheon supports the Mothers and Infants Program at First Step. This program provides substance abuse treatment for pregnant women and their babies. To date there have been over 400 babies born drug-free through this program. The Pirates are sponsoring the event as well as donating in-kind items for the raffle.
Address: Michael's on East, 1212 East Avenue S, Sarasota, FL
2. Wednesday, February 28 (3-4 p.m.) Seniors Group Meeting
Katie Fritz of the Pirates Florida Front Office will be speaking to a Seniors Group at Peridia Golf & Country Club.
Address: Peridia Golf & Country Club, 4950 Peridia Blvd. E, Bradenton, FL 34203
3. Thursday, March 1 (7:30 a.m.) National "Hug a Cop" Day
The Pirates will deliver donuts and coffee to the Bradenton Police Department as a THANK YOU for all they do during Spring Training and for the community throughout the year.
Address: City of Bradenton Police Department, 100 10th Street W, Bradenton, FL 34205
4. Thursday, March 1 (5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.): HOPE Family Services Visit
HOPE's primary purpose is to provide services to survivors of domestic violence and help them stay safe, gain strength, and evaluate their options. Pirates Charities and the Pirate Parrot will bring Pirates goodies for the kids in the HOPE Family Services Children's Program. We will also deliver "Welcome Kits" that consist of personal hygiene items for HOPE to give to incoming residents to provide additional comfort during their transition.
5. Saturday, March 3 (10:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.) PiratesFest at LECOM Park
Today is the annual PiratesFest at LECOM Park. The family-friendly fun event will feature free player autographs, games, prizes, music and more around the ballpark before the Pirates vs the Philadelphia Phillies 1:05 p.m. game.
6. Saturday, March 3 (10 a.m.- 1 p.m.) Dream Center Pregame Block Party at Renaissance on 9th street
The Bradenton Dream Center is a non-profit organization established to meet the needs of the community, restore hope, and impact the next generation. During the week, they will offer after-school programming for two local elementary schools - Rogers Garden and Ballard Elementary Schools. To introduce the Dream Center to the community, they are holding an open house/block party. There will be music, raffle giveaways, as well as bounce houses and games for the kids as we work to raise awareness in the community about Dream Center. Pirates will donate items for raffle as well as provide game tickets to new members. A Pirates player will be in attendance to visit and sign autographs for guests.
Address: Renaissance on 9th, 1816 9th Street W, Bradenton, FL 34205
7. Sunday, March 4 (10 a.m.- Noon) Our Daily Bread of Bradenton Meal Service to the Hungry)
Our Daily Bread of Bradenton is a community-driven organization devoted to feeding the hungry. They serve an average of 250 men, women and children daily. Pirates' representative will help serve meals to the hungry and hand out gold fleece blankets, donated by Pirates Charities.
Address: 701 18th Avenue W, Bradenton, FL 34205
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from February 26, 2018
- Give 'Em Shell's...Kitchen - Daytona Tortugas
- Pirates Continue Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bradenton Marauders Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces 2019 LIFT Mentorship Program
- Marauders Collecting Toys For The Salvation Army At Pirate City On Saturday, December 8
- All-You-Can-Eat 5-Game Plans Available Monday, October 22
- Pirates Announce 2019 Spring Training Ticket Information
- Marauders Unveil 10th Season Logo and Announce On-Sale Dates