Pinto Wins 700th as Miners Shut out Boomers
Schaumburg, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners rallied for three runs in the seventh inning to back an outstanding start by Robby Rowland en route to a 3-0 win over the Schaumburg Boomers at Boomers Stadium on Wednesday afternoon, evening their midweek series at one game apiece. It also represented the 700th professional win for manager Mike Pinto, including his time with Sioux Falls in the American Association in 2005-06.
Schaumburg's Kit Fowler (0-1) and Rowland (2-0) each held the other team scoreless through the first six innings of the game, with Fowler holding Southern Illinois without a single hit and striking out nine batters in the first five innings alone. But Rowland was up to the task, as after the Boomers got three baserunners in the first two innings against him, the right-hander settled in, retiring 10 in a row and 14 of 15 batters faced at one point.
The Miners then broke through in the seventh inning. Nolan Earley hit a clean single to right field to break up the no-hitter, and after moving to second on a wild pitch, with two outs, Anthony Critelli pulled a double inside the third base bag down the left field line to make it 1-0 Miners. After a pitching change, Luis Jean and London Lindley followed with RBI singles to stretch the lead out to 3-0.
That was all Rowland and the Miners needed. The Southern Illinois starter finished seven innings of four-hit, shutout baseball with no walks and six strikeouts, while the bullpen held the Boomers scoreless over the final two frames. John Werner struck out the side in the ninth for his second save as the Miners upped their record to 3-2 on the season.
The Miners will now look to win the series in a rubber match against the Boomers in Schaumburg on Thursday night at 6:30 p.m. Kurt Heyer will pitch for the Miners, while Steven Ridings will go for Schaumburg.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's winningest franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.siminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Beach Bums Fall in Extra Innings in River City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wednesday's Game Postponed - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Fall in Extras to Crushers - Normal CornBelters
- Early Pitchers Duel Ends in 3-0 Boomers Loss to Miners - Schaumburg Boomers
- Pinto Wins 700th as Miners Shut out Boomers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Take Series against Joliet, Move Above .500 - Evansville Otters
- Crushers walk-off to third straight win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Get Back On Track With Middle Game Victory - Florence Freedom
- Florence Upends ThunderBolts Despite Just One Hit - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Slammers Drop Morning Game to Otters 6-4 - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Spoil Slammers' Home Opener with 6-3 Win - Evansville Otters
- Miners Stumble in Schaumburg, Fall to Boomers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Bats Fall Silent As Freedom Falter In Opener - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Walk to Win in Home Opener - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Illinois Miners Stories
- Frontier League to Visit Can-Am League for All-Star Game
- Max Dutto Signed by Rangers
- Miners Sign Arturo Nieto for 2019
- Rent One Park to Host Softball Canada in 2019
- Miners Announce 2019 Schedule