Phoenix Rising Looks to Close out Historic 2019 Regular Season on High Note
Phoenix Rising closes out its historic 2019 regular season schedule when it welcomes OKC Energy FC to Casino Arizona Field on $1 Beer Night. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. The match will air live on ESPN+ and on ArzonaSports.com but will be on tape delay beginning at 9 p.m. on Your PHX CW (channel 6 on cable and 61.1 on satellite & over-the-air).
Phoenix Rising is capping off a historic 2019 season that saw the club break multiple league records. In addition to the club setting the American professional soccer record for consecutive wins (20), the team also broke the club and league record for goals scored in a season, largest goal differential in a season, and became the first-ever club to have three teammates score 15 goals each. In addition to those records, Rising broke club records for wins and points a season (two league records that could be broken with a win on Friday).
It wasn't just the team setting records. Solomon Asante broke the league record for most combined goals and assists in a season and he could potentially break the league record for assists in a season with an assist Friday night. Asante also contributed to breaking the record for most goals scored by a duo of teammates (with Adam Jahn), a trio of teammates (Asante, Jahn, And Flemmings), and even a foursome (Asante, Jahn, Flemmings, and Calistri). Asante also broke the club record for goals and assists in a single season and become the club's all-time leader in goals and assists.
Head coach Rick Schantz also broke records of his own. In addition to breaking the single-season record for wins in a season, Schantz will also finish the year the club's all-time wins leader among coaches. In the clubs history, there have been four different coaches.
Despite the club's home unbeaten streak coming to an end following a 2-1 loss to Real Monarchs last week, another important club streak can be extended on Friday: $1 Beer Night winning streak. The club is 14-0-0 all-time on $1 Beer Night, dating back to 2017.
OKC Energy FC comes into the match well out of a playoff position and in poor form. The club is 0-4-1 in its last five matches and hasn't won a match since August 24th. The team's last win on the road came on August 16th. Last week, Energy FC fell to Rio Grande Valley FC, 2-0.
This will be the final match of the season series between the two clubs. Phoenix Rising won the first meeting 4-1 in Oklahoma on June 22nd.
In addition to Friday night being $1 Beer Night, the club will also be presented with the USL Regular Season Title trophy following the match. The club is also giving away copper and black Phoenix Rising socks to the first 2,000 fans who arrive, courtesy of Arizona Federal. Gates open at 6:00 p.m.
This will be the 13th all-time league meeting between the two clubs, with PHX's record being 6-4-2.
PHX has won the last three games of the series.
A Little Bit About OKC Energy FC
The club's leading scorer is Deshorn Brown with 14 goals in 29 appearances. Rafael Garcia is second in goals with 6.
Owayne Omar Gordon leads the team with 7 assists, followed by Cordell Cato with 4.
OKC is 4-7-5 on the road this season, with their last away win coming on August 16th vs. Portland Timbers 2.
OKC is currently 15th in the Western Conference and has been eliminated from playoff contention.
A Little Bit About Phoenix Rising
Per Opta, the team's 7.0 team rating is tops in USL Championship.
PHX has scored three or more goals in 18 of its 33 games this season.
PHX's 86 goals scored is tops in USL Championship. Solomon Asante leads all of USL Championship in goals (22) and assists (16).
Zac Lubin leads the league in clean sheets (13).
Per Opta, Asante has the best average player rating at 8.19. He's the only player currently above 8. PHX has two of the top three rated players in the league (Asante and Flemmings).
Win, Win, Win, No Matter What...
Phoenix Rising has 23 wins on the season and have already broken the club record for wins in the regular season (19). With one match remaining on the schedule, the club has now tied the USL Championship record for wins in a season (23), set by FC Cincinnati last season. PHX will look to gain sole possesion of the record vs. OKC this weekend.
Phoenix Rising has already broken the club record for points in a season (63, set in 2018). With 75 points, With a win vs. OKC, PHX can break the USL Championship record for most points in a season (77), set by FC Cincinnati last season.
Spreading The Wealth
On the season, 14 different players have scored a goal. The club record for most players to score in a season is 17, set in 2017.
Not only is Phoenix Rising leading USL championship in goals (86), but the club's goal differential is also the best in the league by a wide margin. The club currently has a +51 goal differential, 21 goals better than the next highest total.
Score First, Win Always
Phoenix Rising is undefeated (20-0-0) when scoring first.
Iron Man Watch
Solomon Asante is now the club's minutes leader with 2,647 minutes played. He's followed by Amadou Dia (2,629), Adam Jahn (2,592), Zac Lubin (2,520), and José Aguinaga (2,150) to round out the top five. 15 players total have logged 1,000 or more minutes this season.
Man on Fire
Solomon Asante has 38 combined goals and assists on the season, breaking a USL Championship record (32) set last year by FC Cincinnati's Emmanuel Ledesma, who recorded 16 goals and 16 assists in the regular season. Asante's 22 goals are three off the league's regular-season record of 25, set in 2018 by Louisville City FC's Cameron Lancaster. His 16 assists tie the league's regular-season record, set in 2018 by Ledesma.
The Unbeaten Legend Grows
Rising FC is now 14-0-0 on $1 Beer Night.
$1 Beer Goals, Goals, Goals
On their July 19, 2019 $1 Beer Night match, PHX broke their single-match record for goals at home with six goals in their 6-0 win over Austin Bold FC. Over 14 $1 Beer Night matches, the club has scored 46 goals. In 2019 alone, PHX has scored 20 goals in their five $1 Beer Night wins.
$1 Beer Night Heroes
With 9 goals, Solomon Asante is the club's all-time leading goal scorer on $1 Beer Nights. He is followed by Jason Johnson (8), Didier Drogba (5), Chris Cortez (4), and Adam Jahn (4).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 17, 2019
- Preview: Nashville SC Closes out Regular Season with Match against Atlanta United 2 at First Tennessee Park - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Travels to Tulsa to Close out 2019 Regular Season - Reno 1868 FC
- Match Preview at New Mexico - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina FC Hosts Saint Louis FC in Regular-Season Finale on Saturday as Club Honors Captain Austin Da Luz - North Carolina FC
- RGV FC Hosts Timbers 2 for Last Game of the 2019 Season - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LouCity Heads to Memphis with 'Work to Do' - Louisville City FC
- RDA Announces Fall Experience Sessions - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Close out Historic 2019 Regular Season on High Note - Phoenix Rising FC
- Rowdies Can Earn Home Quarterfinal with Win Saturday - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Energy FC Play Final Match of 2019 Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Final Match of 2019 Saturday - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Legion FC Rises to the Occasion to Knock off New York - Birmingham Legion FC
- Tacoma Defiance Stretches Unbeaten Streak to Four in 1-1 Road Draw - Tacoma Defiance
- Draw Sets up Must-Win Saturday - New Mexico United
- Real Monarchs SLC Split 2-2 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Defender Joe Farrell Returns for 2020 Season
- Solomon Asante and Adam Jahn Named to 2019 USL Championship All-League First Team
- Eleven Players from Core of Historic 2019 Season Return to Phoenix Rising
- Phoenix Rising Readies for Western Conference Semifinal Showdown with Real Monarchs
- Phoenix Rising Advances to Western Conference Semifinals Following Thrilling Penalty Shootout Win