Petricek, Defense Shine in Tropics First-Ever Shutout, 7-0 over Dallas Sidekicks
DALLAS, Texas - The Florida Tropics won their sixth straight game - their longest win streak now in team history -- and Brett Petricek recorded the first shutout in team history, as they defeated the Dallas Sidekicks 7-0 Saturday night in a Major Arena Soccer League showdown in Dallas.
The Tropics improved to 11-1 overall, to maintain their lead in the MASL Eastern Conference, and also set a record for most wins in a season, doing it in just their 12th game of the 24 game regular season
Victor Parreiras and Ricardo Carvalho scored on set pieces in the first quarter, but neither team scored again until Florida put up a three-spot in the third quarter to take a 5-0 lead into the final period.
Rafa Alves, Lucas Teixeira and Joshio Sandoval, all defenders, scored in the third, with Ruggles and Lucio Gonzaga adding scores in the fourth. Ruggles added two assists for a three-point night
The Tropics nearly had a shutout at home last weekend in defeating St. Louis, 7-1, allowing just an own goal in the second half. Petricek, who came into the game with a goals against average of just 3.61. was credited with seven saves on just 10 shots.
The Tropics are right back at it Saturday night in Mesquite in a 7:05 (CST) start. Florida will then host San Diego on Saturday, Feb. 8 at the RP Funding Center in Lakeland. Coming into action this weekend, The Tropics and Sockers are just two of the three teams in the league with just one loss. Tickets are available by calling 863-240-0101, or by visiting fltropics.com. Both games will be streamed live at masl.tv, and the Feb. 8 home game will be televised live on WTTA-TV, Great 38 in Tampa.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 31, 2020
- Blast Pulls Away in the Third Quarter to Defeat the Lancers - Rochester Lancers
- Petricek, Defense Shine in Tropics First-Ever Shutout, 7-0 over Dallas Sidekicks - Florida Tropics SC
- Blast sweep short road trip, down Lancers 9-1 - Baltimore Blast
- Sidekicks Drop Game to Eastern Conference Juggernaut - Dallas Sidekicks
- St. Louis Ambush Drop a Close One in Utica - St. Louis Ambush
- Coughlin Leads Utica City to Win over St. Louis - Utica City FC
- Sockers Weekly Report - San Diego Sockers
- Heat Visit Stars Tonight at ShoWare - Tacoma Stars
- SeaWolves Sign Former Colombian International Jamie Castrillon - Orlando SeaWolves
- Offense Falters as SeaWolves Fall to Blast - Orlando SeaWolves
- There Is One Name Missing from the Lancers Wall of Fame... - Rochester Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Hugo Silva Gets First-Ever Home Shutout as Tropics Roll Past Dallas Sidekicks, 8-0
- Tropics Lookk for Fifth Straight Win to Start Season as Dallas Sidekicks Visit Saturday
- Tropics Will Play Four Times in February; Will Host San Diego, Tacoma and Ontario in Mini-Tournament
- Tropics Place Pair - Ian Bennett and Drew Rugglels - on All MASL Week Two Team
- Arico Nets Pair as Tropics Win Four Straight to Open Season, 7-4 over Kansas City Comets