Blast Pulls Away in the Third Quarter to Defeat the Lancers
HENRIETTA, N.Y. - The Baltimore Blast spoiled the Rochester Lancers Wall of Fame night by recording a 9-1 victory in Major Arena Soccer League action at the Dome Arena on Friday night.
Juan Pereira scored four goals and Tony Donatelli added three for the Blast (8-6).
Defender Anthony Rozzano spoiled goalkeeper William Vanzela's bid for his second clean sheet in as many nights with the lone Lancers (0-12) goal. The Blast registered a 7-0 away win at the Orlando Seawolves on Thursday night. Rozzano converted a free kick from top of the penalty arc that was orginated by Jeremy Ortiz at 11:04 of the third quarter.
Rozzano put the ball into the back of the net off another Ortiz feed with nine seconds remaining in the match but the Lancers were called for too many men on the field as the Blast was awarded a power play.
Donatelli lifted the visitors into the lead at 7:50 of the first period, drilling a hard shot from the left side off an Adriano Dos Santos feed.
The Blast added two more scores in the second quarter. After Rochester goalkeeper Brian Wilkin was awarded a blue card for handling the ball outside the penalty area, Pereira converted a shootout at 1:28 before the forward added his second at 8:34.
The Lancers came close to scoring in the first half, including rookie Matt D'Amico's shot that bounded off the right post with 1:13 remaining.
Baltimore pulled away in the third quarter, connecting three times. Pereira made it a natural hat-trick with his third consecutive goal for a 4-0 lead at 9:20. Donatelli finished off the period with successive scores at 10:14 and 12:49.
In the fourth quarter, the Blast had goals from Mike Da Silva, Vinny Dantas and Pereira.
At halftime, the Lancers honored 20 special men and women as they were inducted into the first class of the team's Wall of Fame.
The honorees included:
Team staff: John Berardicurti, Gary Boughton, Tim Crawford, Dave DiPasquale, Elliot Fauske, Sean Hantes, Kyle Manscuk, Doug Miller, Jeremy Ortiz, Marc Sotile.
Game day staff: Andrew Battisti, Jeff Calkins, Joe Giuliano, Lyndsay Houghton, Kayla Klark Kent, Ashley Maria King, Michael Lewis, Kari Miller, Rocky Perrotta, Jill Rizzo.
King surprised team owner Salvatore "SoccerSam" Fantauzzo, announcing that he had joined the rest of the class in the Wall of Fame.
The Lancers next will be in action against the St. Louis Ambush at the Dome Arena on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Tickets can be purchased at RLancers.com or at the Dome Arena box office.
MASL Match Report
Match: Rochester Lancers vs. Baltimore Blast
Date: January 31, 2020
Venue: Dome Arena, Henrietta, N.Y.
Kickoff: 7 p.m.
Goals 1 2 3 4 F
Rochester Lancers 0 0 0 1 1
Baltimore Blast 1 2 3 3 9
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 31, 2020
- Blast Pulls Away in the Third Quarter to Defeat the Lancers - Rochester Lancers
- Petricek, Defense Shine in Tropics First-Ever Shutout, 7-0 over Dallas Sidekicks - Florida Tropics SC
- Blast sweep short road trip, down Lancers 9-1 - Baltimore Blast
- Sidekicks Drop Game to Eastern Conference Juggernaut - Dallas Sidekicks
- St. Louis Ambush Drop a Close One in Utica - St. Louis Ambush
- Coughlin Leads Utica City to Win over St. Louis - Utica City FC
- Sockers Weekly Report - San Diego Sockers
- Heat Visit Stars Tonight at ShoWare - Tacoma Stars
- SeaWolves Sign Former Colombian International Jamie Castrillon - Orlando SeaWolves
- Offense Falters as SeaWolves Fall to Blast - Orlando SeaWolves
- There Is One Name Missing from the Lancers Wall of Fame... - Rochester Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.