Petes Send PGHA Player to Lake Placid for the Toronto Six's Inaugural Season
(Peterborough, ON) - Payton Rogers has been selected to represent the Peterborough Petes as a cardboard cut out in the stands of the Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, NY for the Toronto Six's inaugural season with National Women's Hockey League (NWHL).
Nominations for the Petes "Hardest Working Minor Hockey Player" opened on Tuesday, January 12 and closed on Tuesday, January 19 at 5:00 PM. Over the week, kids of all ages across a variety of teams were nominated for their perseverance and dedication to improve their hockey skills at home. When the call for submissions closed, one winner was randomly selected and it was Payton Rogers of the Peterborough Ice Kats tier 1 program with the Peterborough Girls Hockey Association.
"Payton loves hockey and is often found watching hockey or practicing in her driveway with her brother," says nominator John Gillis. "Payton is committed and works very hard. She demonstrated everything that the Petes were looking for when creating this campaign as she continues her passion and dedication to hockey throughout the struggle of the pandemic."
Payton's cardboard cutout will join the likes of Nicole Baxter of the National Women Soccer League Sky Blue, Sue Bird from the Seattle Storm of the Women's National Basketball Association and shortstop for the MLB's Toronto Blue Jays, Bo Bichette.
The NWHL season is set to begin on Saturday, January 23. The NWHL's round robin games will be streamed on the NWHL official Twitch account and fans can catch the Isobel Cup's semifinals and final games live on NBCSN. The Toronto Six bubble schedule has yet to be released and all games will be without fans. The 2021 Isobel Cup Semifinals will air live on Thursday, Feb. 4, 2021 on NBCSN at 5:30 pm ET and 8 pm ET, and the Isobel Cup final game will air live on Friday, Feb. 5 at 7 pm on NBCSN.
The Toronto Six are the sixth National Women's Hockey League team to be granted a franchise. They join the Boston Pride, Buffalo Beauts, Connecticut Whales, Metropolitan Riveters and the Minnesota Whitecaps.
Every Thursday, Petes fans are encouraged to tune in to the Peterborough Petes Facebook page for Thursday Night Live (TNL). Each episode of TNL features an exclusive Q&A with special celebrity guests, a musical performance, cooking segments, and merchandise offers.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2021
- Mike Martone Named as this Week's Peterborough Petes Local Minor Hockey Volunteer - Peterborough Petes
- Nathan Poole Always Striving for Improvement - Kingston Frontenacs
- Petes Send PGHA Player to Lake Placid for the Toronto Six's Inaugural Season - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peterborough Petes Stories
- Nick Kypreos Headlines Thursday Night Live Presented by Subway
- Goaltender Tye Austin Signs Amateur Tryout Agreement with the Belleville Senators
- Melissa Gillespie Is Named as this Week's Peterborough Petes Local Minor Hockey Volunteer
- Petes Announce Virtual Event "Game On" for International Women's Day
- David Ayres Headlines Thursday Night Live Presented by Subway