Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Jon Lizotte
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced today that they have signed defenseman Jon Lizotte to an American Hockey League contract for the 2020-21 season.
Lizotte, 25, appeared in 59 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton during his first season as a pro, quickly forming a formidable defense pairing with fellow rookie Pierre-Olivier Joseph. In that time, Lizotte posted no goals and 17 assists, as well as a team-high plus-16 rating. The Grand Forks, North Dakota native also suited up for three games with the Penguins at the end of the 2018-19 season while skating on an amateur tryout agreement. He scored his first pro goal in his AHL debut on Apr. 7, 2019 at Lehigh Valley, and ended up with two points (1G-1A) in those three contests.
Prior to joining the Penguins, the undrafted defenseman wrapped up a four-year career at St. Cloud State University. In 147 games with the Huskies, Lizotte earned 10 goals and 36 assists for 46 total points. He was also a part of St. Cloud State's NCHC Championship in 2016 and securing the NCHC's regular season title in back-to-back seasons in 2017-18 and 2018-19. Lizotte topped the Huskies in plus/minus during his junior year (+20), and he was named to the All-NCHC Academic Team in all four of his years at St. Cloud State.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 26, 2020
- Iowa's Kaapo Kahkonen Wins American Hockey League's Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award - AHL
- Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Jon Lizotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Shane Starrett
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton