Pelicans Win Edinburg Series Thanks to Three Homeruns
The Pelicans come back to win game four of the this four-game series against the Edinburg Roadrunners and improve to 17-12 and remain in second place in the CBL. With the win, the Pelicans also improve to 11-2 at home.
It didnt look good in the first inning as Edinburg jumped to a 4-0 lead thanks in part to two errors by the Pelicans. Edinburg also had three hits in that inning by Eric Gonzalez, Eddie Lara and Anthony Angel.
In the bottom half of the inning, the Pelicans big hitter came through and knocked two homeruns to bring the score to 4-3. Joe Espada led things off with a single and then scored after Juan Rocha hit his 6th homerun of the year, a two run shot to right center. The next batter, Larry Bethea then hit the first pitch he saw into the trees for a solo shot, his 8th homerun of the season and once again tied him for the CBL lead.
Pensacola tied the game in the third inning when Larry Bethea once again came through in the clutch. With Espada on third with two outs, Bethea hit a sharp single down the left field line scoring Espada and tying the game at four.
Edinburg retook the lead in the 5th. Eddie Lara reached on a single and then stole second base. Two batter later, after Anthony Angel walked, Wilson Burwell hit an RBI single to right center field. That would turn out to be the last run they would score on the night.
Robbie Hebert came on to relieve start Shane Arthurs. Hebert pitched three scoreless innings that included getting out of two bases loaded jams.
Pensacola retook the lead for good in their half of the 7th when they scored three runs on three big hits. The biggest of them being a two run homerun by George Branch, his 4th of the year, to give the Pelicans a 7-5 lead.
Edwar Ramirez then came in to pitch the 9th inning for Pensacola and recorded his first save of the year as he struck out one and gave up one hit.
• Discuss this story on the Central Baseball League message board...
Central Baseball League Stories from June 6, 2005
- Sports win second straight - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- El Paso takes game against Aviators - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Pelicans Win Edinburg Series Thanks to Three Homeruns - Pensacola Pelicans
- Senators Come to Pelican Park First Time in 2005 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Central League announces players of the week - Central League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team