Paul Reed Named 2021 NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year
WILMINGTON - The NBA G League announced today that Paul Reed was named both the 2021 NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year. The Philadelphia 76ers two-way contract player was the only player in the league to average at least 20 points and 11 rebounds per game this season, while leading the Delaware Blue Coats to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. Reed led the G League with 12 double-doubles in 15 games and is the first player in Delaware franchise history to earn either MVP or Rookie of the Year honors.
Reed, the No. 58 overall selection in the 2020 NBA Draft by Philadelphia, shot .588 from the field, .444 from three-point range and .789 from the free-throw line. He was the only player among the G League's top-10 in total rebounds with at least 20 three-pointers made (24). The DePaul product started each of the Blue Coats' 15 regular-season games and was the only player in the league with at least 25 steals (29) and 25 blocks (27) during the regular season. Reed was one of only three players with at least two 30-point games.
On Feb. 27 vs. the Oklahoma City Blue, Reed posted a rookie career-high 35 points (14-22 FG, 5-10 3FG, 1-1 FT) with seven rebounds, three steals and a game-high five blocked shots. His five three-pointers were a season high. In a Feb. 14 win over the Agua Caliente Clippers, Reed tallied 31 points (13-22 FG) and 12 rebounds before being named the first NBA G League Player of the Week for the 2021 season during the team's 3-0 start.
In the Blue Coats' postseason debut, the team went on to defeat the No. 5 Austin Spurs in the opening round before upsetting the No. 1 seed, the Raptors 905, by 27 points to reach the NBA G League Finals.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 22, 2021
- Paul Reed Named 2021 NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year - Delaware Blue Coats
- Delaware Blue Coats' Paul Reed Named 2020-21 NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delaware Blue Coats Stories
- Winning Basketball Spurs Momentum for 21-22
- Reed Collects League Awards with Historic Tally
- Paul Reed Named to All-NBA G League First Team, All-Rookie Team and All-Defensive Team
- Paul Reed Named 2021 NBA G League Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year
- Coats Staff Key to 2021 Success