Ott Dazzles, Sullivan Homers in 6-1 Win over St. Lucie
PORT SAINT LUCIE, Fla. - Travis Ott turned in six shutout innings and Brett Sullivan socked his fourth home run of the year to lead the Charlotte Stone Crabs to a 6-1 win over the St. Lucie Mets Saturday at First Data Field.
Ott (3-1) allowed only five hits and did not walk a batter over his six scoreless innings. The Pennsylvania native struck out eight batters, the most of his six starts with Charlotte (2-1, 33-38). He has now worked 11 consecutive shutout innings.
Ott matched zeroes with St. Lucie (1-2, 34-37) starter Merandy Gonzalez (0-1) until the top of the sixth. With two outs and nobody on, Stone Crabs first baseman Peter Maris singled to right. Brandon Lowe followed by stroking a double to the left field corner, plating Maris and giving Charlotte a 1-0 lead.
Still up one in the seventh, Dalton Kelly reached on an infield single before taking third on a throwing error by third baseman Vinny Siena . The next batter was Ryan Boldt, who doubled off the wall in center to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead. Two batters later, Jim Haley singled to right to score Boldt and make the score 3-0.
Leading by that margin in the eighth, Maris and Lowe both singled to start the inning. Sullivan followed by bashing a three-run home run to right, giving Charlotte a 6-0 lead.
Brandon Lawson and Reece Karalus combined to work three innings of one-run baseball out of the Charlotte bullpen.
The Stone Crabs will go for the series win tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. Roel Ramirez (2-2, 4.63) makes the start for Charlotte against Andrew Church (5-5, 4.33) of the Mets. Coverage begins at 12:45 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 24, 2017
- Ott Dazzles, Sullivan Homers in 6-1 Win over St. Lucie - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Losing Streak Reaches Six - Daytona Tortugas
- Miracle Lose Back-And-Forth Battle with Florida - Fort Myers Miracle
- Garcia Goes Yard Again, Threshers Hang On - Clearwater Threshers
- Charlotte Offense Keeps Churning in Huge Loss to Mets - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Tortugas Drop Fifth Straight - Daytona Tortugas
- Win Streak Snapped as Blue Jays Even Series - Tampa Yankees
- Mets Hit 2 Grand Slams, Thrash Stone Crabs 19-7 - St. Lucie Mets
- Sandberg Slugs Four Hits in 8-3 Win - Clearwater Threshers
- New Crew Aid Thorpe in First Win of Second Half - Fort Myers Miracle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.