Ordway named ADT Defensive Player of the Week, Storm remain atop Top 8 poll
TAMPA, FL -- Tampa Bay Storm defensive specialist Jonathan Ordway was named the Arena Football League's ADT Defensive Player of the Week on Tuesday.
Ordway helped the Storm improve to 2-0 on the season with an outstanding performance in Tampa Bay's 62-45 victory over the Austin Wranglers. Ordway, in his third season with Tampa Bay, twice picked off Austin quarterback John Fitzgerald and also recorded 5.5 tackles and two pass breakups.
He returned his first interception of the game 49 yards for a Storm touchdown, tying the team record for the longest interception return in Storm history.
The former Armwood High School star helps to anchor one of the top defenses in the Arena Football League. The Storm are second in the league in points against, allowing just 39.0 points per game. Tampa Bay also leads the league in turnover margin and has picked off a league-high four passes this season.
Through two games, Ordway ranks fifth in the league in total tackles (14.0) and fourth in passes defensed (4) and is tied for the league lead in interceptions (2).
This marks the second straight week that a Storm player received an AFL weekly award. Last week quarterback Shane Stafford was named the league's Offensive Player of the Week for his Week 1 performance against the defending ArenaBowl champion San Jose SaberCats.
New Orleans quarterback Andy Kelly was named the Week 2 Offensive Player of the Week. Philadelphia Soul wide receiver/linebacker Sean Scott earned Ironman of the Week honors.
In other news, the Storm remained ranked at the top of the Arena Football League Writers Association's Top 8 poll for the second straight week. The Storm received all but one first place vote. That lone vote instead went to the Orlando Predators, who occupy the No. 2 spot in the poll and host the Storm Friday night at the TD Waterhouse Centre in Orlando, Fla.
San Jose moved into the third spot, followed by Chicago, Colorado, New York, Philadelphia, and New Orleans.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 8, 2005
- Las Vegas Gladiators game notes - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Sean Scott named US Army Ironman of the Week...again - Philadelphia Soul
- Ordway named ADT Defensive Player of the Week, Storm remain atop Top 8 poll - Tampa Bay Storm
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Chicago Rush game notes - Chicago Rush
- Desperados Visit Richardson Boys & Girls Club - Dallas Desperados
- Predators ink veteran kicker - Orlando Predators
- New York Dragons Game Notes - New York Dragons
- Destroyers to make 2005 NBC debut this week - Columbus Destroyers
- Arizona Rattlers game notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Dallas Desperados game notes - Dallas Desperados
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- New Orleans VooDoo game notes - New Orleans VooDoo
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Dragons' opener thrills record crowd - OSC Original by David Holusha
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Bay Storm Stories
- Tampa Bay Storm to Suspend Operations, Effective Immediately
- 2018 TAMPA BAY Storm Cheerleader PREP CLASS
- ALBANY AFL NAMES LES MOSS AS ASSISTANT HEAD COACH
- ALBANY AFL ANNOUNCES OPEN HOUSE EVENT AT TIMES UNION CENTER
- AFL Albany AFL Names Chris Thompson Director of Football