Odessa at Beaumont game preview
Odessa Roughnecks (0-0) at Beaumont Drillers (0-0)
Mon., March 7, 7:05 p.m. (doors at 6:05 p.m.)
Ford Arena (7,736) Beaumont, TX
Tickets: $18 (reserved); $10 (value) parking included
Kids 2 & under free
Kids 3-12 ($1 off ticket price)
Seniors 65+ ($1 off)
Previous meeting: First
Head coach: Chris Williams
-Team joined the NIFL last year after finishing 10-8 in the Intense Football League losing to Lubbock in the Semifinals.
Head coach: Kyle Mackey (first year)
Def. coordinator: Troy Esprit
Special teams: Jason Arbuckle
-Drillers finished 8-6 in 2004, tied with three teams for one playoff spot, losing via tie-breaker system to Atlantic City.
Passing: Marc Saldana, 163-286, 1,866 yards, 42 TD, 11 INT
Rush: Anthony Johnson, 449 yards, 12 TD
Rec: Chad Luttrull, 14 rec, 838 yards
Rec TD: Pat Palmer, 21
INT: Randy Chappell, 6
Tackles: Shane Winchester, 83.0, TFL: 18.5, Sacks: 7.0
Players to watch:
-Chad Luttrull WR, 5-10, 205
-Pat Palmer WR, 6-2, 208
-Anthony AJ Johnson RB, 6-2, 245
-Randy Chappell DB, 6-3, 245
-Roy Locks DE, 6-2, 265
-TJ Light DE, 6-0, 285
Newcomers that will make immediate impact:
-Ellis Spears WR, 6-3, 190
-Phillip Mouzon - DB, 5-11, 195
-Kenyada Tatum ATH, 5-9, 175
- Drillers are 2-0 in season openers.
- First indoor football game at Ford Arena
- Roster 9 of 22 from Southeast Texas
Head coach Mackey says ...
- Its hard to prepare for a team you dont know much about. We are going in blind. From the offensive standpoint, the rules dictate what you do. As the game goes on, you adjust.
- I believe our General Manager (Steve Reap) has stepped up in more ways than one. Everything is right, its clicking and he has put us coaches in a great position to win.
Defensive coordinator Troy Esprit says ...
- We are better organized going into this game compared to last year, from top to bottom.
- There is more excitement heading into Game One. Last year was here we go again. Looking at our guys as we took a tour of the new facility was worth a thousand words.
General Manager Steve Reap says ...
- "I fell a whole lot better now than at this time last year. Our team has found discipline, something we were desperately lacking last year. They understand it takes more than just being an athlete to win. You have to play as a unit."
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from March 4, 2005
- RiverCity Rage News - RiverCity Rage
- ThunderBolts and Ray Lewis invite all to opening game - Lakeland ThunderBolts
- Daytona Beach Hawgs training camp report - Daytona Beach Hawgs
- Trever Whiting Returns to Capitols Coaching Staff - Lincoln Capitols
- Morays announce youth football pass - Miami Morays
- Fever single game tickets now available - Tri-Cities Fever
- Renegades announce 25-man roster - Rome Renegades
- Odessa at Beaumont game preview - Beaumont Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.