NWSL Teams Band Together to Raise Funds for Breast Cancer Awareness
Chicago - Rallying around Orlando Pride defender Toni Pressley, who announced she was diagnosed with breast cancer on August 7, all nine teams in the National Women's Soccer League have joined forces for an online auction to benefit a charity of Pressley's choice. All profits from the auction will go to Libby's Legacy - an Orlando-based non-profit that provides comprehensive breast cancer resources to the underserved.
The auction, which features items from all nine clubs in the NWSL, will run from now until Friday, October 10, and can be found at the link here.
The auction was spearheaded by Alyssa Naeher, Casey Short and the rest of the Chicago Red Stars, who wanted to provide support for Pressley and others impacted by breast cancer.
"The team here wanted to show our support to Toni during this time. I played with Toni during my time at Florida State and have always admired the person she is on the field, but more so off the field," Red Stars defender Short said. "The fact that we can come together as a league and put these items up for auction, not just us to show our love for Toni, but for our fans as well, is nothing short of amazing."
Highlights of the online auction include autographed limited-edition Nike Mercurial 360 'LVL UP' boots from 2017 NWSL MVP Sam Kerr, a signed U.S. Women's National Team jersey from 2019 Women's World Cup Champion Alex Morgan, a ball signed by the entire North Carolina Courage roster and much more.
"I can't put into words what it means to have the support of the teams and players across the entire league. I feel overwhelmed with gratitude, from this auction to all of the tributes I have seen over the last month," Pressley said. "I appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness and contributions to raise awareness for something that impacts, not just myself, but so many others."
The auction was announced on Wednesday night, during halftime of the Pride's match against the Red Stars at Exploria Stadium.
About Libby's Legacy:
Libby's Legacy is a volunteer-driven 501(c)(3) charity whose mission is to provide comprehensive services to the underserved through education, mammograms, and patient navigation on the journey from diagnosis to survivorship with the compassion to ensure no one fights alone. Founded in 2007 by Robin Maynard in honor of her mother, Libby's Legacy has provided over
7,000 Breast Health services, diagnosed/navigated over 155 breast cancer patients, and awarded 11 LIVE BIG cruises to stage IV cancer survivors.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 11, 2019
- Pride Fall 1-0 to Chicago in Stoppage Time - Orlando Pride
- Casey Short's Stoppage-Time Goal Gives Chicago a Key Victory - Chicago Red Stars
- Orlando Pride to Host Breast Cancer Awareness Match on October 12, Join Forces with NWSL Clubs for Fundraising Auction - Orlando Pride
- NWSL Teams Band Together to Raise Funds for Breast Cancer Awareness - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago Scores Three in Sunday's Win over Sky Blue FC
- Casey Short's Stoppage-Time Goal Gives Chicago a Key Victory
- NWSL Teams Band Together to Raise Funds for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Sam Kerr Nets Twice in Chicago's 3-0 Win vs. Houston
- Chicago Remains in Playoff Standing Following Loss to Portland