Nothing But Nets and MLS W.O.R.K.S. Team Up to Fight Malaria
Chicago, IL (June 29, 2007)- Nothing But Nets, a grassroots campaign to prevent malaria by providing insecticide-treated bed nets, announced today that Major League Soccer's MLS W.O.R.K.S. has joined the fight against malaria. The organizations will work together to encourage soccer fans in the United States to send more nets and save more lives in Africa. Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber and Elizabeth McKee, Director of Nothing But Nets, will launch the partnership on center field during the Chicago Fire game at Toyota Park on July 1, 2007 at 6:00 p.m. CDT.
"MLS W.O.R.K.S. is proud to partner with Nothing But Nets - an organization committed to eradicating malaria in Africa," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "We are excited to work with our teams to engage our fans in helping make a difference by sending nets and saving lives."
This is the first of a series of in-stadium events which will include pre-game and half-time presentations, auctions, and contests. During these events this summer, MLS W.O.R.K.S. will also be promoting its Nothing But Nets Sweepstakes which offers supporters of Nothing But Nets the chance to win a trip for two to MLS Cup 2007 in Washington, D.C. on November 18, 2007. The sweepstakes was first announced in April 2007, with thousands of people having already entered.
"We are pleased to partner with MLS W.O.R.K.S., as one of its original partners in the first league-wide community outreach initiative," said Kathy Bushkin, Executive Vice President of the United Nations Foundation, a founding partner of Nothing But Nets. "We have already seen remarkable support from Diego Gutierrez and the Chicago Fire and we look forward to working with all of the MLS teams to raise awareness about life-saving nets."
In addition to the sweepstakes, MLS W.O.R.K.S. will feature a Nothing But Nets Public Service Announcement (PSA) created by Diego Gutierrez and the Chicago Fire at stadiums across the country. Gutierrez recruited fellow players Andy Herron from the Columbus Crew, Alecko Eskandarian from Real Salt Lake and Nick Garcia from the Kansas City Wizards to highlight the need for bed nets to soccer fans world-wide. As Diego says, "some nets matter when you score a goal...and some nets matter to save lives." For more information about the sweepstakes and to view the PSA, visit www.NothingButNets.net.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2007
- Chivas USA releases forward Matt Taylor, signs goalkeeper Justin Myers - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Fourth of July Match Sold Out - Colorado Rapids
- Fire Host Rapids Sunday Night at Toyota Park - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Weekly Preview & Broadcast Info - MLS
- Chicago Fire Sign Midfielder Bruno Marques Menezes - Chicago Fire FC
- Kansas City Wizards Host Toronto FC, Hoping to Snap Three-Game Winless Streak - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United acquire Greg Vanney in exchange for Facundo Erpen - D.C. United
- Dynamo Tickets for David Beckham Game Now On-Sale - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rapids Acquire Argentine Defender Facundo Erpen - Colorado Rapids
- New Faces Join TFC - Toronto FC
- Nothing But Nets and MLS W.O.R.K.S. Team Up to Fight Malaria - Chicago Fire FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-0 to Philadelphia Union at Soldier Field
- Fire Return to Soldier Field to Host Philadelphia Union on Saturday
- Chicago Fire FC Drop 2-0 Result on the Road Versus New York Red Bulls
- Fire to Face New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena on Saturday
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-1 to Atlanta United FC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium