New York City FC Names Morten Grahn as Academy Director
NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York City FC is pleased to announce that Morten Grahn has been named Academy Director, pending receipt of his work visa.
Grahn joins NYCFC from FC Copenhagen where he has been in the club's academy setup since 2011, most recently serving as their Head of Player Development.
Grahn said: "It is very exciting for me to be appointed as the new Academy Director of New York City FC. The Club is part of the most interesting and innovative football brand in the world whose vision and ambition is unmatched. To be a part of City Football Group makes me feel humbled and extremely motivated to continue the good work that has been done here before. I am leaving a club that has been part of my DNA for a decade so it was important to me that my next move would be the right one.
"NYCFC has the ambition to be among the best academies in the world and I'm very aware of the success that NYCFC's academy has had in a short period of time. Building a strong youth academy takes time, but I'm convinced we will continue to produce players capable of playing at the highest levels of world football, both in Major League Soccer and abroad.
"I can't wait to be a part of that journey and together with all the amazing people at NYCFC."
In 2014, the Denmark native guided Copenhagen's U-19s into the knockout rounds of the UEFA Youth League. Grahn's side advanced out of a group featuring European giants Real Madrid and Juventus before falling to eventual champion FC Barcelona in the Round of 16.
Prior to his stint in Copenhagen, Grahn worked for Lyngby BK, Red Bull Ghana and Boldklubben af 1893. Throughout his career, he's played a part in developing 12 players who represented Denmark during this summer's Euro's and the U-21 European Championship.
These include senior players Andreas Cornelius (Parma), Mathias Jørgensen (Fenerbahçe), Christian Nørgaard (Brentford), Yusseuf Poulsen (RB Leipzig), and Jonas Wind (FC Copenhagen) who helped Denmark to the semifinals of the Euros.
In addition, Grahn has guided over 30 Copenhagen academy graduates to the First Team including 19-year-old Mohammed Daramy who has already played more than 70 times at the senior level.
NYCFC Sporting Director, David Lee, said: "We're delighted to welcome Morten to NYCFC as our Academy Director. Development is at the core of our Club's philosophy and Morten has been responsible for developing young players at a major academy in Europe for the last decade.
"Not only has he guided a good generation of Danish players into the professional ranks, but his experience coaching at one of the highest levels of youth football in the world will benefit our entire Academy staff here in New York from day one.
"Our Academy has been successful in the first few seasons by winning trophies, signing Homegrown talent, and selling players to Europe. This is a pivotal role in our Academy, and after conducting a worldwide search, we're confident Morten is the right person to for the job as we continue to make NYCFC a leading producer of youth talent in the Tri-State region and throughout United States."
Everyone at the Club would like to welcome Morten to NYCFC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 13, 2021
- Philadelphia Union Loan Midfielder Matej Oravec to FK Ã Â½eleziarne Podbrezová - Philadelphia Union
- Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas Named New Home of Leagues Cup Final for 2021 and 2022 - MLS
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Thomas Roberts to SK Austria Klagenfurt - FC Dallas
- Acosta Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Lattanzio Brings Youth Development, Modern Tactics, and MLS Experience to Charlotte FC - Charlotte FC
- Independent Review Panel Rescinds Mulraney Suspension - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision, Independent Review Panel Rescinds Mulraney Suspension - MLS
- Whitecaps FC host LA Galaxy on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville SC Completes Years-Long Pursuit of 'Ideal Player' Aké Loba - Nashville SC
- The Pitch: USA-Canada to Feature MLS-Heavy Rosters That Showcase North American Player Development - MLS
- New York City FC Names Morten Grahn as Academy Director - New York City FC
- ESPN Names Arthur M. Blank the 2021 Sports Philanthropist of the Year at Seventh Annual Sports Humanitarian Awards - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.