Nashville SC Stifles Birmingham Legion in 3-0 Preseason Rout Presented by Nissan
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Nashville Soccer Club spoiled USL Championship newcomer Birmingham Legion FC's first home friendly open to season ticket holders with a 3-0 win on Saturday night at BBVA Compass Field on the campus of Alabama-Birmingham. Reigning USL Golden Boot winner Cameron Lancaster got his first goal in a Nashville uniform in the first half while Tucker Hume and Ropapa Mensah clinched the win in the second half.
90 in a Nutshell
Nashville SC dominated the game from start to finish both offensively and defensively. With the majority of possession and chances in the first half, it was just a matter of time before Nashville got on the scoreboard. The opener came in the 31' minute from Lancaster in his second preseason appearance for Nashville. Playing up top, Lancaster took a short cross from Alan Winn and lunged to put the ball just inside the far post. It was Winn's second assist of the preseason. The Nashville defense held Birmingham to one shot, blocked outside the box, in the opening 45 minutes as the backline and keeper Connor Sparrow kept a clean sheet through the first half.
A full XI changeover from NSC at halftime didn't stop the pressure as Nashville was relentless in its attack. Hume made use of his 6'5" frame to head in a cross from Taylor Washington in the 60' minute, while Ropapa Mensah took a nifty low cross from Hume to slot home the final goal in the 86' minute. Keeper Matt Pickens played the second 45 minutes and he too kept a clean sheet.
31' NSH - Cameron Lancaster (Alan Winn)
60' NSH - Tucker Hume (Taylor Washington)
86' NSH - Ropapa Mensah (Tucker Hume)
Coach Smith's Thoughts
"The two groups performed very, very well. They looked ever much more like an outfit that is ready for the start of the season. In the second half, Tucker's goal and assist were terrific, and it's nice to see Ropapa hit the back of the net. All in all a very good night, I don't think one person jumps out, but there has been some very, very good performances."
Daniel Ríos - 34 minutes
After missing Nashville SC's first two preseason friendlies at IMG Academy, forward Daniel Ríos made his unofficial debut and was dangerous through his 34 minutes of action, recording one shot, which led to corner.
NSC Defense - 0 Shots on Goal in First Half
The backline of Kosuke Kimura, Ken Tribbett, Liam Doyle and Taylor Washington were stifling in the first half, holding Legion FC without a shot on goal through the first 45 minutes, leaving Sparrow little work.
Nashville will play at home for the first time this preseason with a friendly against New York City FC at First Tennessee Park at 7 p.m. on Friday, February 22. Tickets are still available at NashvilleSC.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 16, 2019
- Lights FC & Rapids Entertain Las Vegas - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville SC Stifles Birmingham Legion in 3-0 Preseason Rout Presented by Nissan - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Scores Four Goals in Preseason Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United FC Sign Midfielder Andrew Lubahn - Loudoun United FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Acquires Logan Gdula on Loan from FC Cincinnati - Phoenix Rising FC
- Tickets for 2019 Tacoma Defiance Home Opener on Sale Now - Tacoma Defiance
- Preseason Scrimmage against UNC Moved to Chapel Hill - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital