Nailers Sign Dalton Carter
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, are excited to announce their fifth player signing of the 2018 offseason. Wheeling has signed defenseman Dalton Carter to an ECHL contract.
Carter, 24, got his first taste of professional hockey by appearing in a pair of ECHL games in the spring, but enters the 2018-19 campaign as a rookie. Dalton attended Utica College for four years, where he majored in Business Management, while filling the net as an offensive defenseman for the Pioneers. The blueliner is coming off of his best collegiate season, as he finished second on his team in scoring, racking up 11 goals, 28 assists, and 39 points in 26 games. Carter was Utica College's top defensive scorer in two of his four years at the school, completing his career as a Pioneer with 82 points in 106 contests.
"Dalton Carter is a rangy right shot defenseman with good length, offensive instincts, and a bomb," said Nailers Head Coach Mark Dennehy. "He scored 11 goals in 26 games with seven power play marks. He has plenty of upside."
The Sylvania, Ohio native had a chance to make his pro debut close to home, as he suited up with the Toledo Walleye on March 9th. That night, Dalton posted a +4 rating and registered two shots on goal, as the Walleye walloped the Quad City Mallards, 8-0. Toledo fell short in Carter's second match, but the blueliner was still able to come away with an even rating.
"I've been to Wheeling a couple of times with one of my junior teammates, and I am excited to take the opportunity there," Carter said. "I pride myself on being offensive on the blueline and getting the puck on net."
Dalton Carter and the Wheeling Nailers will begin the 2018-19 season on October 13th, when they visit the Norfolk Admirals. Wheeling's first home game will take place on November 3rd against the Indy Fuel. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 13, 2018
- Gladiators Name Jeff Pyle as Head Coach - Atlanta Gladiators
- Carzo Returns for 2018-19 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Add Two More to 2018-19 Roster - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Sign Dalton Carter - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers HC Re-Sign Defenseman Tommy Panico - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Add Four to Inaugural Roster - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wheeling Nailers Stories
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 15
- Nailers Rally Late, But Fall Short in Norfolk to Open Season
- Nailers at Admirals Game Day Snap Shot, October 13
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster
- Alternate Jersey, Hall of Fame Class Highlight 2018 State of the Team Event