Mystic 5, Danbury 4
The Westerners started the game on fire scoring four runs in the first two innings and hitting starting Schooner pitcher Doug Domnarski hard. The Westerners offense was able to score two runs in first inning and two runs in the second inning off of five hits, an error, a wild pitch and a walk.
The Westerners flustered Domnarski early but that did not affect him from letting the game get out of hand. He remained in the game and ended up pitching six innings. He was brilliant after the second inning not allowing a man reach base during his next four innings of work. He struck out the side in the 3rd inning which was part of five straight batters he struck out. Domnarski was able to keep the Schooners in the game during the middle innings.
The Schooners were able to cut into the Westerners lead in the 4th inning when they finally were able to get a run across. Martin Figuroa blasted a double to deep right-centerfield that scored Aaron Hill. They added another run in the 5th inning when Nick Mascelli doubled scoring Taishi Terashima
The Schooners offense then went cold in the 6th and 7th innings, making the comeback look less and less possible. But the offense came to life again in the 8th inning. The Schooners were able to score three runs in the inning to mount a great comeback. They were able to string together four hits in a row, two singles, and two doubles that allowed three to come across.
Jason Foley was brought in for the ninth inning and he struck out the side.
With the win, the Schooners continue their winning streak and improve to 17-11 on the season. The Schooners next game is tomorrow versus the Valley Blue Sox. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 PM at MacKenzie Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from July 13, 2016
- Pitching and Defense Lifts SteepleCats to Victory - North Adams SteepleCats
- Mainers Walk-Off to Take Share of Division Lead - Sanford Mainers
- Mystic 5, Danbury 4 - Mystic Schooners
- SwampBats Blow Early Lead, Drop to 5th Place - Keene Swamp Bats
- Mountaineers Come Back to Top Swamp Bats 7-5 - Vermont Mountaineers
- SteepleCats Fall to Gulls - North Adams SteepleCats