Mudbugs One up Jacks in Shootout
The Shreveport Mudbugs (28-21-9) got C.J. Regula to thank for firing home the game-winning goal in the shootout lifting the home team to a 4-3 win over the Odessa Jackalopes Saturday night at Georges Pond in Hirsch Coliseum.
The Bugs opened up the scoring at 3:47 of the 1st period when Matt Weber powered in his first goal of the year from the left wing to give Shreveport the early 1-0 lead. Jack Jaunich got the only assist on the tally. Odessa came back with goals at 6:04 and 9:23 of the 1st period with goals from Jack Conroy and Joseph Winkelmann to give the Jacks a 2-1 edge. The Mudbugs came right back at 13:04 when Carson Nichols slammed home a rebound in front for his third goal of the season. C.J. Regula grabbed the only assist on the play. The game was tied 2-2 after one with SOG, favoring the Bugs, 16-12.
The game stayed tied 2-2 until at 17:14 of the 2nd period when Conor Witherspoon roofed in his seventh goal of the year from the right wing to give the Bugs, a 3-2 lead. Dakota Concannon earned the only assist with a brilliant cross ice pass to set up Witherspoon's tally. The Bugs led in SOG, 32-19 after two periods of play.
Odessa tied the game in the third period when Bugs netminder Leo Chuard mishandled a puck behind his net and Michael Sacco tapped in a goal at 6:30 of the 3rd period tying the game, 3-3.
The game stayed tied 3-3 going into OT and no team was able score sending the contest into a shootout. C.J. Regula was able to fire home the only goal in the shootout lifting the Bugs to a 4-3 win.
Shreveport trails Lone Star by one point for 2nd place in the South Division which means home ice advantage in the opening round of the playoffs.
The Mudbugs will conclude their season against their most famous rival in the Lone Star Brahmas for a two-game series next Friday and Saturday night. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. for both contests.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2019
- Jacks Fall to Shreveport 4-3 in the Shootout - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mudbugs One up Jacks in Shootout - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bulls Beat IceRays 8-3 Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Black Bears Lose Big to Titans - Maryland Black Bears
- Briere Nets Hat Trick, Solensky Four Assists in 9-2 Win - Johnstown Tomahawks
- the New Jersey Titans Keep Girls in the Game - at the Highest Level - New Jersey Junior Titans
- Wings Shutout Bruins 5-0 - Aberdeen Wings
- Jacks Fall 3-1 in Shreveport - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bulls Blast Rays 8-2 as Jenuwine Sets NAHL Record - Amarillo Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.