Mudbugs Drop Heartbreaker to Brahmas
The Shreveport Mudbugs (28-21-10) battled the Lone Star Brahmas to the very end in a see-saw affair which ended in a heartbreaking loss for the Bugs, 5-4 Friday night at the Nytex Sports Centre.
Jack Jaunich opened the scoring at 10:19 of the 1st period as he banged in the rebound in front for his ninth goal of the year putting the Bugs up 1-0 early in the contest. The play was set up from Matt Weber and Timothy Clifton who set the rush up from their own end. Lone Star came back to tie it as Nick Siffringer came back and shot in a rebound of his own at 14:21 tying the game, 1-1. The Brahmas led in SOG, 11-5 after one period of play.
The Mudbugs regained the lead and got a very much needed PP goal from TImothy Clifton who dipped through the slot and roofed in his ninth tally of the season at 7:54 of the 2nd per. to give his team a 2-1 lead. C.J. McGee and Ethan Harrison earned the assists on the Clifton's goal. Lone Star answered once again at 19:02 when Andrew DeCarlo poked in an innocent rebound to tie the game again, 2-2. Bugs dominated in SOG, 12-4 in the middle period and led 17-15 overall at this point.
Lone Star grabbed their first lead of the game when Zach Heintz shot in a goal at 5:53 making it a 3-2 Brahmas lead. The Bugs answered back when Captain Jay Feiwell fired home his 14th goal of the year from the left wing after a PP expired making it a 3-3 contest. Then it was Dakota Concannon who turned around and swept in his fifth tally of the year dramatically giving the Bugs, a 4-3 edge. The Brahmas responded once again when Eric Huss backhanded home a goal from the far corner evening it up at 4-4.
The game stayed tied 4-4 as we went into OT and the Bugs squandered a major powerplay sending the game into the shootout. It was Michael Stinil who went 5-hole for the deciding goal lifting the Brahmas to a 5-4 victory over Shreveport.
With the loss, the Mudbugs will be the 3-seed and have to travel back to the Nytex Sports Centre for games 1, 2 and and if necessary game 5 in the upcoming 1st round playoff series which begins next weekend. .
The Bugs and Brahmas will conclude the 2018-2019 regular season tomorrow night at the Nytex Sports Centre. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2019
- Playoff-Bound IceRays Close Regular Season with 4-1 Win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Thwarted by Bobcats in Regular Season Finale, 6-2 - Austin Bruins
- Steel Beat the MN Magicians in Season Finale - Chippewa Steel
- Tomahawks Fall to Rebels 3-1 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears End Season with Overtime Thriller against the Knights - Maryland Black Bears
- Pilots Can't Net Late Equalizer, Fall 1-0 to IceRays - Topeka Pilots
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 60 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Wings Close out Regular Season with Road Sweep of Wilderness - Aberdeen Wings
- Mudbugs Drop Heartbreaker to Brahmas - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bulls Edge Jacks in OT - Amarillo Bulls
- Jacks Fall in Overtime 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Clinch Playoff Spot with 1-0 Shutout of Topeka - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.