Jacks Fall in Overtime 3-2
ODESSA, TX - It only took 23 seconds. Just 23 seconds into overtime for the Amarillo Bulls to defeat the Odessa Jackalopes on Friday night the at Ector County Coliseum.
After Amarillo struck first in the late stages of the first period the Jacks fought back in the second to tie the game.
After defensman Kellen Tharaldson saved a goal in front of his net, Vaclav Zidek took the put up ice himself. Sending a pass down the the corer, Jack Conroy executed a perfect give-and-go to Zidek.
The Czech skated the the high slot and sent a low shot on net that beat Amarillo netminder Justin Evenson to the the game 1-1.
After a lengthy delay to start the third, due to an ice malfunction, the Bulls took the lea back on a short-angel shot from the NAHL's leading scorer Logan Jenuwine.
But once again Zidek and the Jacks responded with Zidek sending a hard wrister in past Evenson as Zidek stood at the top of the left-hand circle.
The Jackalopes managed to draw a power play with less then two minutes to play as regulation time expired and the Jacks went to overtime.
Things started out well for the Jacks as the started the extra session with possession and set up in the offensive zone. As a shot from Tharaldson sailed wide, it ricocheted up the near-side wall and out to the neutral zone right as Amarillo forward Ryan Lautenbach stepped out of the box.
Skating down on a two-one-one Lautenbach shot the puck over the glove of Kade Phipps to win the game. It was an ignominious end as Phipps made 42 saves in the contest.
The Jackalopes will conclude their season on Saturday night against Amarillo with face-off set for 7:11 pm.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2019
- Playoff-Bound IceRays Close Regular Season with 4-1 Win - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Thwarted by Bobcats in Regular Season Finale, 6-2 - Austin Bruins
- Steel Beat the MN Magicians in Season Finale - Chippewa Steel
- Tomahawks Fall to Rebels 3-1 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears End Season with Overtime Thriller against the Knights - Maryland Black Bears
- Pilots Can't Net Late Equalizer, Fall 1-0 to IceRays - Topeka Pilots
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 60 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Wings Close out Regular Season with Road Sweep of Wilderness - Aberdeen Wings
- Mudbugs Drop Heartbreaker to Brahmas - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bulls Edge Jacks in OT - Amarillo Bulls
- Jacks Fall in Overtime 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Clinch Playoff Spot with 1-0 Shutout of Topeka - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.