Moran Shuts Down Bullfrogs as Chucks Win 9-2
Green Bay- The Wisconsin Woodchucks rebounded nicely from a 9-0 loss last night by shutting down the Green Bay Bullfrogs by a score of 9-2.The Woodchucks's offense erased the shutout in the first inning, scoring their first run of the series. With runners on the corners and one out, Brian Smith bounced into a fielder's choice that scored Brooks Braga from third and gave the "Chucks an early 1-0 lead.After a scoreless bottom of the first, the Woodchucks added to their lead. Chevas Numata stepped into the batter's box and blasted a solo home run over the left field wall. Numata's first home run of the season gave the Woodchucks a 2-0 lead.The offense would not stop there, however, as they added three more runs in the third. With Braga on second and Luke Moran on first, Smith blasted a three-run homer, his first of the season, to give the "Chucks a 5-0 lead.The "Chucks did not let off with the 5-0 lead. In the next inning, Greg Hamrock hit a single with two down and immediately stole second base. On the next pitch, Brooks Braga lined a single up the middle, scoring Hamrock from second, and giving the "Chucks a 6-0 lead.Woodchuck starter Luke Moran exited the game after the sixth, an outstanding outing by the righty from Grayson County Community College. Moran pitched six innings, allowing zero runs on only one hit while striking out eight and picking up his first win of the season.The Bullfrogs finally got on the board in the bottom of the seventh off of reliever Zach Wendorf. With runners on the corners and nobody out, Ransom LaLonde grounded into a double play, but Taylor Johnson was able to score from third and erase the "Chucks' shutout. The Woodchucks added an extra run of insurance in the top of the eighth. Mike Mierow doubled to lead off the inning, then stole third base. Numata proceeded to pop a sacrifice up to center that scored Mierow giving Numata his second RBI of the game and the "Chucks a 7-1 lead. Not taking anything for granted, the "Chucks added two more in the top of the ninth. Picking up RBI's were Zach Wendorf on a sacrifice fly and Mierow on a single under the glove of second baseman Jason McMurray.The Bullfrogs were able to pick up a run in the ninth, but it would not matter as the "Chucks took game two of the series 9-2.The two teams will play the rubber game of the series tomorrow at 1:05 in Green Bay.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 2, 2012
- Stingers Lose Back-And-Forth Contest, 8-7 - Willmar Stingers
- Rox Drop Inaugural Opener to Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Pound Their Way to Victory - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Huskies shut out Beetles - Alexandria Beetles
- Moran Shuts Down Bullfrogs as Chucks Win 9-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Honkers Win Second in a Row - Rochester Honkers
- Big Inning Ignites Bombers to Victory - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Face First Road Test of the Season against Loggers - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Break out Bats for First Victory - Green Bay Bullfrogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Woodchucks Stories
- Two Pitchers from Illinois State Join the 'Chucks
- Woodchucks Announce 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Woodchucks to Host Shrimp Boil Catered by Thrive Foodery
- Police vs. Fire Softball Game Returning to Athletic Park
- Food Truck & Beer Festival to be Held at Athletic Park