MLS NEXT Fest Preview: Revolution Academy U-15, U-17, and U-19 Teams Heading to California
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution Academy's U-15, U-17, and U-19 teams are heading to Indio, Calif. to compete in MLS NEXT Fest alongside 300 of the top youth teams across the United States and Canada from December 2-8, 2022.
The U-19s enter the tournament as the defending MLS NEXT Cup Champions with a 10-1-2 record this fall. They registered a 1-0 victory over Toronto FC Academy this past Saturday where Ezra Widman (2005 - New York, Ny.) scored the game-winner, while Max Weinstein (2004 - Montpelier, V.T.) earned the team's sixth clean sheet of the season.
The team's collective 39 goals this season have come from 10 different players, as Bryce Flowers (2005 - Sharon, Mass.) leads the 19s with eight tallies on the year. Including Weinstein, the U-19s have seen four goalkeepers contribute to their success this season in Ryan Carney (2005 - Dunstable, Mass.), Kevin Christensen (2006 - Natick, Mass.), and Marshall Nason Martin (2007 - Norwood, Mass.).
The U-19s begin MLS NEXT Fest action on Friday, Dec. 2 against Phoenix Rising FC with their next two games taking place on Saturday, Dec. 3 and Monday, Dec. 5 vs. Michigan Wolves and Sacramento United, respectively.
U-19 Players to Watch:
Max Weinstein (2004 - Montpelier, V.T.)
Bryce Flowers (2005 - Sharon, Mass.)
Marco Dos Santos (2005 - Methuen, Mass.)
Tyler Flowers (2005 - Sharon, Mass.)
Jack Burkhardt (2005 - Sutton, Mass.)
The U-17s hold an 8-3-1 record this fall and began the season with seven straight victories. Last weekend, they fell to Toronto, 4-2, at Gillette Stadium, as Tito Nichols (2007 - Milton, Mass.) and Eric Klein (2006 - Manheim, P.A.) each found the scoresheet.
A total of 11 different players have tallied this season for the U-17s, with goalkeeping efforts coming from Owen Beninga (2007 - Jackson, W.Y.), Carney, Christensen, and Nason Martin. Olger Escobar (2006 - Lynn, Mass.) leads the team with seven goals this fall, while Peyton Miller (2007 - Unionville, Conn.) and Eric Martinez (2006 - Perris, Calif.) own five tallies each. The team has notched three or more goals in seven of their 12 games so far this season.
The U-17s will face off against Chicago Fire on Friday followed by two matches vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, and Houston Dynamo on Saturday and next Monday, respectively.
U-17 Players to Watch:
Olger Escobar (2006 - Lynn, Mass.)
Peyton Miller (2007 - Unionville, Conn.)
Eric Martinez (2006 - Perris, Calif.)
The U-15s are 6-3-3 this season and are coming off a 1-1 draw with Toronto last Saturday. Grant Emerhi (2008 - Mansfield, Mass.) notched his third goal of the season to secure his team's third draw.
Cristiano Carlos (2008 - Chicopee, Mass.) leads the U-15s with seven goals on the season, while Cristiano Oliveira (2008 - Somerville, Mass.) has netted six. Sean Cory (2008 - Wrentham, Mass.) and Jose Goodman Millman (2008 - Cocheton, Ny.) have split time in net after each making eight appearances this season. All six of the team's wins have been clean sheets, while 11 different players have found the net for New England this fall.
The U-15s are set to take on FC Dallas on Saturday with their next two matches vs. FC Cincinnati and LAFC taking place next Tuesday (Dec. 6) and Wednesday (Dec. 7).
U-15 Players to Watch:
Cristiano Carlos (2008 - Chicopee, Mass.)
Joaquin Garcia-Zilinskas (2008 - Concord, Mass.)
Bryan Norena (2008 - Revere, Mass.)
Braydon Fagundes (2008 - Warwick, R.I.)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 29, 2022
- Inter Miami CF Launches Annual Holiday Toy Drive Presented by XBTO - Inter Miami CF
- MLS NEXT Fest Preview: Revolution Academy U-15, U-17, and U-19 Teams Heading to California - New England Revolution
- Austin FC Signs Forward Alfonso Ocampo-Chávez - Austin FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Alexander Alvarado's Purchase Option Exercised by LDU - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Second Annual Battle of the Artists Presented by Heineken - Inter Miami CF
- SeatGeek Chosen to Power Ticketing Experience for All Real Salt Lake Matches - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution's Away Match at New York City FC to Kickoff at 3:30 p.m. ET
- Revolution's Away Match at Minnesota United Moved to September 9
- Revolution Academy Forward Olger Escobar Called up to U-17 Guatemalan National Team
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023
- Dylan Borrero Called-Up to Colombia Men's National Team for Friendly vs. United States