Missions Win South Division Title
CORPUS CHRISTI - Staked by a three-run first, Missions right-hander Chris Huffman twirled seven frames of four-hit ball Sunday evening as San Antonio beat Corpus Christi, 8-1, at Whataburger Field in the decisive Game 5 of the Texas League South Division Series.
The Missions advance to face the Tulsa Drillers in the league championship series, which begins Tuesday night at ONEOK Field.
Following an hour-and-a-half rain delay, Hooks starter Brett Adcock struggled with command. Following a lead-off walk to Buddy Reed, Owen Miller sent a 2-1 pitch to into left field to stage runners at the corners. Kyle Overstreet cashed in with an RBI single and Webster Rivas added a two-out, two-run base hit down the left-field line.
Carson LaRue, who was called up earlier in the day from Buies Creek, entered in relief for the Hooks and retired the first seven men he faced.
The Missions got to LaRue for a couple runs in the fourth. Hudson Potts connected with a lead-off single and scored on a Michael Gettys double. Reed capped the frame with a sac fly to right field. LaRue scattered seven hits over seven innings.
The 22-year-old right-hander struck out seven and did not issue a walk. Of the three runs charged to LaRue, two were earned.
The only marker against Huffman was a two-out solo homer by Randy Cesar in the seventh.
David Bednar stranded two in the eighth and Andres Munoz worked a 1-2-3 ninth to nail down the triumph.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from September 9, 2018
- Missions Win South Division Title - Corpus Christi Hooks
- San Antonio Completes Incredible Turnaround, Advances to TLCS After 8-1 Win in Game 5 at Corpus Christi - San Antonio Missions
- Season Ends with Game Five Defeat - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Win, Will Play for Texas League Championship - Tulsa Drillers
- Tulsa Wins, Forces Game Five - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Former Hooks James, Tucker Named Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- Hooks Tabbed Texas League Organization of the Year
- Heavyweight Boxing Showdown Saturday at Whataburger Field
- Missions Win South Division Title
- Missions Force Game 5; Free Berm Tickets Sunday at Whataburger Field