Minnesota United Sign 'Lamps' to New Contract
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Minnesota United announced today that the club has signed eMLS player 'LAMPS', Ehsan Zakeri, to a new two-year contract. 2022 was 'LAMPS' first season representing Minnesota United as well as his first season competing in eMLS, in which he was the eMLS League Series 2 champion before reaching the Round of 16 Knockout Stage at the FIFAe World Cup 2022. MNUFC first signed Zakeri in December of 2021.
"I am happy to be back for another two years and extremely motivated to build on last year's successes," said Zakeri. "I'm glad I was able to represent Minnesota United on such a big platform this past season, and I am really excited to continue to showcase my skills against not only other eMLS competitors, but also against my fellow counterparts around the world."
This season, 'LAMPS' achieved notable success on a national and global scale. In February, the 19-year-old won eMLS League Series 2, where he then advanced to the eMLS Cup 2022 semifinals, falling to DC United's KingCJ0. This summer in July, 'LAMPS' advanced from the EA FIFA 22 Global Series Playoffs in London, England to the 32-player FIFAe World Cup 2022, which was held in Copenhagen, Denmark. Competing in Group A, Zakeri went 6-5-3 (W-L-D), scoring 26 goals and finishing third in the group with 23 points to advance to the Round of 16 knockout matches. During his Knockout Stage contest, 'LAMPS' fell just short to Nicolas99FC of Argentina, losing 3-2 on aggregate. His appearance in the tournament marked the furthest that a Minnesota United eMLS player has qualified in any EA competition.
Before joining Minnesota United, 'LAMPS' - who hails from Long Island, New York - began his competitive play in esports soccer with FIFA 20. Prior to joining MNUFC, 'LAMPS' competed for Sporting Kansas City as their second player in eMLS and FIFAe competitions. Zakeri has notably won major tournaments in FIFA 21 and FIFA 22, all while being a student at Stony Brook University. See below for a full list of 'LAMPS' FIFA 22 accomplishments and finishes:
North America FIFA Global Series 1 Winner
North America FIFA Global Series 2 Third Place
North America FIFA Global Series 3 Runner Up
eMLS League Series 1 Top Eight
eMLS League Series 2 Winner
eMLS Cup Top Four
Ranked second in North America FIFA Global Series leaderboards
Qualified for FIFA Global Series Playoffs, played in the top 24 FIFA Global Series Playoffs
Qualified for FIFAe World Cup 2022 - Top 16 FIFAe World Cup
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 27, 2022
- Whitecaps FC to Observe National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- The Montreal Impact Foundation Inaugurates Fourth Multisport Field in Laval - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Hosts FC Cincinnati Tuesday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC to Open 2023 Season vs. LA Galaxy at Rose Bowl Stadium on Saturday, February 25 - Los Angeles FC
- Minnesota United Sign 'Lamps' to New Contract - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy to Host LAFC in Historic 2023 Regular Season Opener at Rose Bowl Stadium on Saturday, February 25 - LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF Announces 2022 Team Superlatives - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Midfielder Federico Navarro to New Contract - Chicago Fire FC
- The Pitch: The Push to the Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs Continues - MLS
- Gameday Guide: Everything You Need to Know for Fan Appreciation Night and the Rapids' Final Home Game against FC DallasÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Ticket Update: U.S. Women's National Team Match against Germany at Drv Pnk Stadium on November 10 - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 27, 2022 - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.