Miners' Win Streak Snapped in Schaumburg
Schaumburg, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners saw their win streak snapped at eight games as the Schaumburg Boomers scored three runs in the first inning and led wire-to-wire for a 7-3 final score on Friday night at Boomers Stadium.
Miners starter Nick Stroud struggled on the mound, as the Boomers used a hit-by-pitch, walk, double, single and sacrifice fly to plate three runs against him in the bottom of the first inning and give Schaumburg a 3-0 lead. Stroud (1-2) would exit after the first two batters reached base leading off the second inning, but Cody Thompson would throw the next four innings on the mound for Southern Illinois, giving them a chance to make a comeback.
In the top of the second inning, Stephen Lohr hit into a fielder's choice to plate the Miners' first run, hustling up the line to beat out the potential double play ball and scoring Kyle Davis from third base to make it 3-1. After the Boomers got a run on back-to-back doubles leading off in the third inning, Southern Illinois responded in the fourth when Gianfranco Wawoe singled and went to second base on a wild pitch by former Miner Aaron Rozek. Davis then doubled him home and made it 4-2, with Lohr coming up with two outs and delivering an RBI single to put the Miners within a run at 4-3.
But that was the closest theywould get- Schaumburg added single runs against Thompson, Heath Renz, and Andrew Bernstein in the bottom of the fifth, sixth, and seventh innings, respectively, to pull away, while the Miners' bats were silenced by Erik Martinez, who finished the game out of the Boomers' bullpen and recorded the save.
Davis finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI while Lohr also went 2-for-4 and drove in a pair of runs, but it was not enough as the Miners dropped the series opener to break their eight-game win streak and record just their fifth loss in the month of June.
Southern Illinois will look to bounce back and even the series on Saturday, June 22, in the middle game of the weekend set at 6:00 p.m., with Greg Marino taking the mound for his second start of the season.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's most-successful franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Crushers' Late Offensive Surge Downs Otters - Evansville Otters
- Washington Takes Opener Behind Offensive Outburst - Washington Wild Things
- Florence Beats Gateway in Dramatic Walk-Off Fashion - Florence Y'alls
- Grizzlies Lose on Heart-Breaking Walk-Off - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Drop Back-And-Forth Battle - River City Rascals
- Miners' Win Streak Snapped in Schaumburg - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Halt Southern Illinois Win Streak - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bottom half of the order paces Crushers in 7-3 victory over Otters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Score Late to Beat Rascals 6-5, Take Game 1 - Joliet Slammers
- Charles Glenn to Perform at CarShield Field - River City Rascals
- Miners Sweep Doubleheader from ThunderBolts - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Swept in Doubleheader - River City Rascals
- Fighting Freedom Sweep Doubleheader to Take Series from Rascals - Florence Y'alls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Illinois Miners Stories
- Miners Suspend 2020 Season
- Kyle Davis Comes Back to Miners
- Miners Sign Former MLB Pitcher Alejandro ChacÃÂn
- Passing the Game on Distribution Day February 29
- 2020 Frontier League Tryout Camp & Draft