Miners Sweep Doubleheader from ThunderBolts
Crestwood, IL - The Southern Illinois Miners won their seventh and eighth games in a row on Thursday night by sweeping a doubleheader from the Windy City ThunderBolts at Ozinga Field in Crestwood, winning 4-2 in game one before exploding for ten runs in a 10-4 victory in the nightcap.
In game one, Windy City got on the board with two outs in the bottom of the first inning when Tyler Alamo hit a two-run home run off of Marty Anderson, giving the home team a 2-0 lead. That lead would last until the third inning, when with two outs in the frame, Anthony Jimenez doubled to right field off Windy City starter Kenny Mathews (1-4). He then stole third base and ended up scoring when Trey Fulton's throw to third got away into the outfield, making the score 2-1 Windy City.
The following inning, the Miners took the lead for good when Kyle Davis, Jarrod Watkins and Arturo Nieto all singled with one out to load the bases for Chris Iriart, who came through with a game-tying RBI single to knot the score at 2-2. Joe Duncan then beat out a potential inning-ending double play ball to first base to put Southern Illinois up 3-2. The following inning, Davis smacked a two-out, RBI double to add to the Miners' lead and make it 4-2. That was enough as Anderson (2-0) won his second straight start by completing five innings and striking out six.
In game two, neither team scored until the top of the fourth inning, when Davis led off with a double against Windy City starter Christian Morris (2-4) and went to third on a single by Andy Cosgrove. Two batters later, a wild pitch on strike three to Iriart brought Davis home for a 1-0 Miners lead.
Southern Illinois would then blow the game open in the fifth inning, sending fourteen batters to the plate, including the last twelve with two outs, and plating nine runs on four hits, five walks and one hit-by-pitch to take a commanding 10-0 lead. Seven of the nine batters in the Miners' order scored at least one run and drove home at least one run in the frame, with the nine runs scored representing the most runs the team had scored in a single inning on the year.
On the mound, Austin Dubsky pitched the first five innings and allowed just one run while striking out five and walking none to get the win and improve to 4-2 on the season, while the Miners ran their record to 22-12 with the doubleheader sweep and remained tied for first place in the West Division standings.
The Miners will seek a ninth consecutive win on Friday, June 21, at 6:30 p.m. against the Schaumburg Boomers as their road trip continues. Nick Stroud will take the mound in the series opener against former Miner Aaron Rozek at Boomers Stadium.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's most-successful franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Crushers' Late Offensive Surge Downs Otters - Evansville Otters
- Washington Takes Opener Behind Offensive Outburst - Washington Wild Things
- Florence Beats Gateway in Dramatic Walk-Off Fashion - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Lose on Heart-Breaking Walk-Off - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Drop Back-And-Forth Battle - River City Rascals
- Miners' Win Streak Snapped in Schaumburg - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Halt Southern Illinois Win Streak - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bottom half of the order paces Crushers in 7-3 victory over Otters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Score Late to Beat Rascals 6-5, Take Game 1 - Joliet Slammers
- Charles Glenn to Perform at CarShield Field - River City Rascals
- Miners Sweep Doubleheader from ThunderBolts - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Swept in Doubleheader - River City Rascals
- Fighting Freedom Sweep Doubleheader to Take Series from Rascals - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.