Mike Coolbaugh Joins Tulsa Staff
The Tulsa Drillers and the Colorado Rockies announced today that Mike Coolbaugh has been named the Drillers interim hitting coach. Cooolbaugh is familiar with Tulsa, having played in seven games for the Drillers during the 1996 season. He also spent parts of two seasons in the major leagues with Milwaukee and St. Louis. He is the brother of former Drillers third baseman Scott Coolbaugh (1988) who is currently serving as hitting coach for the Frisco RoughRiders.
Mike Coolbaugh replaces Orlando Merced on manager Stu Cole's staff. Merced was forced to resign last month for personal reasons.
Coolbaugh enjoyed a 17-year professional playing career, spending parts of eight seasons at the Triple A level. He collected over 1,600 hits, including 258 homers, and over 1,000 runs batted in his minor league career. This is his first coaching assignment.
The 35-year-old Coolbaugh is expected to join the Drillers during the team's road trip to San Antonio and Corpus Christi.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 3, 2007
- Mike Coolbaugh Joins Tulsa Staff - Tulsa Drillers
- Cards Home for the Fourth of July - Springfield Cardinals
- Patton Heading to Round Rock - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Long Night For Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Survive Delay, Win Series - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.