Menghini's Multi-Goal Performance Seals Home Ice for First Round of Playoffs
ABERDEEN, SD- Home ice for the First Round of the Robertson Cup Playoffs belongs to the Austin Bruins after a 2-1 victory over the Aberdeen Wings.
Going into the final weekend of the regular season, the Austin Bruins needed 1 win to secure home ice in the First Round of the Playoffs and did just that! The Bruins wasted no time out of the gate as just 1:14 into the 1st period, Antony Menghini would light the lamp and give the Bruins a 1-0 lead. Klayton Knapp would stand on his head during the period as well, denying multiple Grade-A chances by the Aberdeen Wings to give his team a 1-0 lead to the locker room after the first 20 minutes.
The Wings, knowing what was on the line fought their way back into the game with a goal score by Landry Schmuck on a nice breakout feed from Devon Carlstrom to tie the game up at 1-1 6:42 into the 2nd period. Both teams would trade big scoring opportunities as Anton Castro for the Wings would help keep things close until some miscommunication between him and Kyle Gaffney resulted in an own goal, which would be credited to Menghini for his 2nd of the night, to give the Bruins back the lead at 2-1. From there, Knapp and the rest of the Bruins' defense would buckle down and come away with a big 2-1 win in Aberdeen to take game one of the Weekend series and secure home ice next week for the First Round of the Robertson Cup Playoffs.
Both teams are back at it tomorrow night for the Regular Season Finale with puck drop set for 7:15PM.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2022
- Bulls' Home Season Ends with 5-3 Defeat to St. Cloud - North Iowa Bulls
- Jr. Hat Tricks Fall to Johnstown in Overtime - Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks
- Rhinos Down Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Menghini's Multi-Goal Performance Seals Home Ice for First Round of Playoffs - Austin Bruins
- Tomahawks Secure Playoff Berth with Overtime Win - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Weekend Preview: Jets at Jr. Blues (G59 & G60) - Janesville Jets
- Game Postponed - Minot Minotauros
- Weekend Preview vs. New Mexico Ice Wolves - Odessa Jackalopes
- Jr. Hat Tricks Begin Final Series of the Season - Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks
- Weekend Preview - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Liam Whitehouse Commits to the University of New England
- Bruins Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule
- Tyler Ryder Announces Commitment to UW-Superior
- Jean-Louis Announces Commitment to University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Jens Richards Announces Commitment to the University of Vermont