McKenzie Acquired from Greenville for Gongalsky
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's Edmonton Oilers and San Jose Sharks, has acquired right wing Jim McKenzie from the Greenville Road Warriors in exchange for left wing Igor Gongalsky (gawn-GALL-skee), Thunder head coach Matt Thomas announced today.
"Jim is a player possessing a large frame and impressive offensive tools that fit the role of an imposing power forward," said Thomas. "In the last few seasons, he has demonstrated the knack for scoring and contains upside to his game that has already been proven with significant playing time in the American Hockey Le ague. We're excited about how he fits with our physical, in-your-face team identity."
McKenzie, 26, was originally selected by the Ottawa Senators in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in 98 career games in the ECHL, spanning two seasons (2007-08, 2009-10) with the Elmira Jackals and Johnstown Chiefs, scoring 25 goals and 59 points (25g-34a) while collecting 150 penalty minutes. He has one goal in six career Kelly Cup Playoff games.
Last year, the 6-foot-2, 210-pound winger posted career-highs in goals (16), assists (24) and points (40) in 55 games for Johnstown.
McKenzie has also skated in 64 career games throughout three seasons (2007-10) in the AHL with the Binghamton Senators and Lake Erie Monsters, scoring eight points (3g-5a) while posting 33 penalty minutes.
The St. Paul, Minn. native played in 112 career college games with Michigan State University (NCAA), spanning three years (2004-07) while scoring 34 goals and 76 points (34g-42a). He achieved career-highs as a 2006-07 junior when he scored 30 points (12g-18a) in 35 games for the Spartans.
Gongalsky, 24, has appeared in 176 career games in the ECHL with the Thunder and Fresno Falcons and in the AHL with the San Antonio Rampage, scoring 104 points (42g-62a) and posting 358 penalty minutes.
A selection to the National Conference All-Star roster in 2008, he scored 14 goals, 31 points (14g-17a) in 55 games for the Thunder and added nine points (2g-7a) in 14 playoff games last season.OPENING NIGHT AND TICKET INFORMATION
Opening Night is Friday, Oct. 15, when the Thunder opens the 2010-11 regular season at home against the Ontario Reign, starting at 7:30 p.m. at Stockton Arena. The Thunder and Alaska Aces meet in the preseason opener on Oct. 5 at Sullivan Arena, beginning at 8:15 p.m. The Thunder and Ontario Reign square off in the only preseason game at Stockton Arena on Friday, Oct. 8 at 7:30 p.m.
The Thunder are freezing Season Ticket Prices for the 2010-11 season, which are on sale now can be purchased by calling (209) 373-1500 or by visiting www.stocktonthunder.com. Thunder Season Ticket Holders enjoy the highest-demanded seating locations in Stockton Arena, preferred parking options, benefits including admission to Season Ticket Holder-only events, discount opportunities on Thunder merchandise, a free e-newsletter, an exclusive gift, admission to the first two rounds of the Kelly Cup Playoffs and more. Information on individual and group tickets will be announced soon.
A two-time recipient of the ECHL "Award of Excellence," Thunder was voted "Best Local Sports Team" by readers of the San Joaquin Magazine, led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the fifth consecutive season in 2009-10. Season Tickets and mini-plans for 2010-11 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit http://www.stocktonthunder.com/.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 26, 2010
- Bobby Robins, Jason Lepine Coming to Condorstown - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Individual Game Tickets on Sale Saturday - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Gwilliam, Fredricks Ink Deals with Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Sign Defenseman Maxime Renaud - Reading Royals
- McKenzie Acquired from Greenville for Gongalsky - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer - Atlanta Gladiators
- Road Warriors Trade for a Left Wing - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Blade Tryouts Add Unique Twist to Pro Placement Camp - Elmira Jackals
- Ryan Stokes Returns - Toledo Walleye
- Jackals Add Depth up Front with Devergilio, Cameron - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls