Mavericks Renew Affiliation Agreement with AHL's Chicago Wolves
Independence, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' President Brent Thiessen, in conjunction with Head Coach Scott Hillman announced the Mavericks have renewed their affiliation agreement with the American Hockey League's (AHL) Chicago Wolves for the 2013-14 season for the third consecutive season. The Wolves are the primary affiliate of the National Hockey League's (NHL) St. Louis Blues.
The affiliation agreement allows for Mavericks players to compete in the Chicago Wolves training camp, and it also allows for a limited number of players to be signed to two-way contracts between the Mavericks and the Wolves. Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman will also attend the Wolves training camp in Chicago.
"In addition to providing us the opportunity to work with some of the best young talented hockey players in the CHL, the affiliation with the Chicago Wolves and the close relationship we have shared over the past few seasons has provided me great opportunities to learn and improve as a head coach," Hillman said. "Working with General Manager Wendell Young and his staff in Chicago is a valuable experience and I look forward to being on the ice with them in September during their training camp with some of our top prospects."
The agreement paves the way for Chicago to loan players to the Mavericks should the opportunity arise as well as allow Mavericks players to move up to the AHL based on the needs of the Wolves.
The Chicago Wolves began operations in 1994 in the International Hockey League (IHL) and joined the AHL in 2001. Chicago has never had a losing season in their 19 seasons and the team has won four league championships with two in the IHL and two in the AHL. Most recently, Chicago was awarded the AHL's Calder Cup in 2008.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from July 11, 2013
- SUNDOGS MEDIA RELEASE - Arizona Sign Defenseman Ryan Gaucher - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Renew Affiliation Agreement with AHL's Chicago Wolves - Kansas City Mavericks
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Open Tryouts - Denver Cutthroats
- Cutthroats Sign Three - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Former Maverick Carter Verhaeghe Becomes Third Consecutive Maverick to Appear on Stanley Cup Roster
- Mavericks Sign Forward Brendan Robbins to Professional Tryout Contract
- Mavericks Trade Vanderlaan to Reading for Futures
- Mavericks Re-Sign Former Kings Draft Pick Matt Schmalz
- Mavericks Sign Rookie Goalie Justin Kapelmaster