Match Preview: New York Aims to Bounce Back against Columbus Crew SC in Leg 2
HARRISON, N.J. - Down 1-0 on aggregate after Leg 1, the New York Red Bulls look to respond in Leg 2 of Eastern Conference Semifinal against Columbus Crew SC on Sunday at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. ET with coverage on FS9, FOX Deportes and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 6:30 p.m. ET with Honda Countdown to Kickoff, hosted by Matt Harmon and Steve Jolley. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Despite a 2-3-3 all-time record after a Leg 1 loss, New York has responded well after a loss in the regular season this year. The Red Bulls are 5-0-2 following a loss in 2018. New York is just one of two teams in MLS without back-to-back losses with the other being Atlanta United FC. New York responded with a three-goal performance in five of the seven games following a loss.
Down 1-0 on aggregate, New York will need to win by at least two goals to win in regulation at Red Bull Arena. The Red Bulls recorded a two-plus goal win in eight of their 17 home league matches, which includes shutouts in seven of the eight two-plus goal victories.
At 26, Long has had quite the season to remember, being named an MLS All-Star, earning his first call-up and start for the USMNT and now being honored as the league's best defender, as voted by the media, all MLS players and technical staffs. In his second full season, Long started 31 of the 34 league matches, anchoring a Red Bulls defense that recorded 14 shutouts and allowed a league-low 33 goals in 34 games in MLS. Offensively, he tallied career-bests in both goals (3) and assists (2). The Oak Hills, California, native was not only named to his first MLS All-Star match, but started and played a game-high 62 minutes to help the MLS All-Stars tie Italian-side Juventus, 1-1.
If New York were to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals, the Red Bulls would face the winner of Atlanta United/NYCFC. The two legs of the conference final is set for Nov. 25 and Nov. 29 with the Red Bulls hosting the second leg as the top seed in the East.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 9, 2018
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Sporting KC to Battle RSL in Home Playoff Game Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces Off-Season Calendar - MLS
- Atlanta United Foundation and Good Sports Donate $80,000 Worth of Equipment to Six Atlanta Public Schools - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Midfielder Zachary Herivaux Called in to Haiti National Team - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati to Select Five Players in MLS Expansion Draft on December 11 - MLS
- Impact Extends Contract of Its eSports Player Lyesmtl - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC Host Second Annual Bmo Champions Cup Tournament - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: New York Aims to Bounce Back against Columbus Crew SC in Leg 2 - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Advance to Western Conference Championship in Dramatic Penalty-Kick Shootout on the Road against Seattle Sounders FC - Portland Timbers
- Seattle Sounders FC Concludes 2018 Season Following Hard-Fought Western Conference Semifinals Second Leg Versus Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls November FIFA Window International Round Up
- RBNY Advance to Eastern Conference Championship for First Time Since 2015
- New York Red Bulls Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence Named to MLS Best XI
- Match Preview: New York Aims to Bounce Back against Columbus Crew SC in Leg 2
- Aaron Long Named 2018 MLS Defender of the Year