Maryland Black Bears Add 3 New Players in League's First Supplemental Draft
ODENTON, MD - The North American Hockey League ran their first-ever Supplemental Draft on Tuesday and the Black Bears were ready to enhance their roster. The Supplemental Draft consists of 81 total picks divided amongst the league's 27 teams, giving each team 3 picks. Of those 81 picks, the Black Bears selected 10th, 64th, and 73rd.
With the 10th pick, the Black Bears selected forward Matteo Pecchia. The 5'11, 180-pound forward is a left-handed shooter coming to the team from Nobleton, Ontario, where he spent last season playing for the Mississauga Chargers of the OJHL (Ontario Junior Hockey League). Last season, Pecchia notched 21 goals and 29 assists in 44 games. Pecchia is committed to play college hockey at Western Michigan University, where fellow Black Bear Garrett Sydlowksi has also committed.
With their 2nd pick of the draft (64th overall,) the Black Bears selected 5'11, 175-pound defenseman, Kyle Robinson. Robinson, like Pecchia, is a Canadian-born OJHL product. He spent last season playing for the Trenton Golden Hawks, where he totaled 4 goals and 19 assists in 28 games.
The team's third and final selection of the day was forward Matt Shanklin. Shanklin is from Chagrin Falls, Ohio, but spent last season playing in the CCHL (Central Canada Hockey League). In his first season in the CCHL, Shanklin scored 3 goals and 20 assists in his 60 games. Shanklin has some prior experience playing with Black Bears, having played with Reid Leibold at Northwood High School and Andrew Remer on the Honeybaked U16 team.
The Black Bears will have the opportunity to add some more new players to their roster in the NAHL entry draft on July 21st.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from May 13, 2020
- Jackalopes Take Three in Supplemental Draft - Odessa Jackalopes
- Maryland Black Bears Add 3 New Players in League's First Supplemental Draft - Maryland Black Bears
- Titans Forward Josef Glamos Makes NCAA Commitment to Buffalo State College - New Jersey Titans
- Brahmas Select Three Players in NAHL Supplemental Draft - Lone Star Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maryland Black Bears Stories
- Maryland Black Bears Add 3 New Players in League's First Supplemental Draft
- Black Bears Tender Defenseman Joseph Borthwick
- Black Bears Tender Forward Connor Cole
- Black Bears Announce Hiring of Assistant GM Ryan Kosecki
- Jack Smiley Announces Commitment to Endicott College