Mariners travel to Richmond tomorrow night
Virginia Beach, Virginia -At 7 p.m. Saturday night, the Virginia Beach Mariners and the Richmond Kickers will kick off at the University of Richmond Stadium to determine this season's winner of the James River Cup. This two-match derby is determined by points - 3 to the winner of each match - and if tied, is decided by goal differential. The Mariners won the first leg on April 15 in Virginia Beach by a score of 3-0. The Mariners now stand 7-0-1 in preseason, outscoring their opponents 19-6.
The Cup was begun in 1996 to heighten the intensity of the rivalry between the two squads. To return the Cup to Virginia Beach, the Mariners must register a win, tie or hold Richmond to less than three goals in a loss. Gates open tomorrow night in Richmond at 6 p.m.
The Mariners will open their 2006 regular season campaign on Saturday, April 22 against Toronto at 7:30 p.m. Gates will open at the Sportsplex at 6:30 p.m. For tickets or other information, please call 757-430-9800 or visit www.marinerssoccer.com.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from April 14, 2006
- Kings/Thunder exhibition soccer - Minnesota Thunder
- Timbers re-sign forward Byron Alvarez - Portland Timbers
- Mariners travel to Richmond tomorrow night - Virginia Beach Mariners
- Battery hosts Jamaica's Village United Saturday night at Blackbaud Stadium - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week