Mariner Midfielder Darren Caskey Named to USL First Division Team of the Week
Tampa, Florida - United Soccer Leagues announced the USL Teams of the Week today honoring Mariner midfielder Darren Caskey for his assist in his team's 2-1 win over Rochester on July 23. Forward John Barry Nusum one-touched a Caskey cross in the 55th minute, sliding his shot just inside the left post to take the Mariners up 1-0 on one of the Division's first-place teams. Newcomer Eugene Sepuya sealed the win in the 87th minute minute when he netted an unmarked header off a Felix Brilliant assist.
Caskey, from Nottingham, England, ranks 16th in the First Division in points with 10 in 17 games (4 goals, 2 assists) and has led the team all season in scoring. This marks his second selection to the Team of the Week in 2005. He was also named in this season's inaugural team in Week 1 for his goal and assist in the Mariners' two-game split with Richmond April 22 and 23.
This also marks the second week in a row that the League has honored a Mariner player. Hamisi Amani-Dove was chosen last week for his winning goal in the team's 1-0 victory over Charleston on July 16.
The Mariners travel to Minnesota to take on the Thunder Thursday night at 8:05 p.m. ET. The team returns to the Sportsplex to host Vancouver on August 6 at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from July 27, 2005
- Silverbacks, Diadora team up - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Kickers Present First-Ever Youth Fantasy Camp - Richmond Kickers
- Thunder to host familiar faces on Thursday - Minnesota Thunder
- Mariner Midfielder Darren Caskey Named to USL First Division Team of the Week - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week