Mardy Gilyard Returns to Sharks
JACKSONVILLE - The Jacksonville Sharks announced Wednesday that wide receiver Mardy Gilyard has returned to the team, as Gilyard has been activated from the Refused to Report list.
The 29-year-old Gilyard (6'1, 200) is set to begin his second season in the Arena Football League. He got his first AFL experience with the Sharks during the 2014 season, when he started the Jacksonville's first four games before signing with the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes. Gilyard caught 29 passes for 308 yards and eight touchdowns in those contests while also returning 16 kickoffs for 296 yards.
Gilyard began his professional career in the National Football League as he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL draft. He also logged stints with the New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs, totaling 78 receiving yards during his time in the NFL.
Gilyard had two different stints in the CFL with the Alouettes, as he worked with the team in 2013 before joining the Sharks, then spent time with Montreal from 2014-2015.
Prior to the start of his professional career, Gilyard enjoyed a storied tenure at the University of Cincinnati, where he was named an All-American as a kick returner in 2008 and a senior in 2009. Gilyard also earned First-team Big East and Big East Special Teams Player of the Year following each of those two seasons. Gilyard finished his Bearcat career with 204 receptions for 3,003 yards and 25 touchdowns.
A Florida native, Gilyard attended Flagler-Palm Coast High School.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from June 1, 2016
- Gladiators, Rattlers Fight for National Lead - AFL
- Mardy Gilyard Returns to Sharks - Jacksonville Sharks
- Morgan Earns AFL Weekly Award - Los Angeles KISS
- Storm Continues to Build Defensive Backfield - Tampa Bay Storm
- Make-A-Wish Night this Sunday - Los Angeles KISS
- From Hawaii to Philly - Philadelphia Soul
- Week 10 Preview: Sharks On The Rise - Jacksonville Sharks
- Sharks Announce Fan Bus to Tampa - Jacksonville Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.