Marauders Beat Mets on Game-Ending Diving Catch
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. The Bradenton Marauders edged the St. Lucie Mets 9-8 in a wild game on Wednesday at First Data Field.
Down one run with one out and the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, the Mets looked like they were going to pull out a dramatic comeback win. However, J.C. Rodriguez's line drive that appeared to be heading into right field for the winning hit was caught on a dive by second baseman Mitchell Tolman. Tolman quickly got to his feet and threw to first base to double off Michael Paez for the game-ending double play.
Tim Tebow, who singled previously in the inning, was left on third base as the tying run.
The Marauders scored in seven of their nine innings at the plate. They erased an early 5-2 deficit and scored two runs in the eighth against Josh Torres to move ahead 9-6.
Jeff McNeil got one run back in the bottom of the eighth with a solo home run. In the ninth, pinch runner Enmanuel Zabala was awarded home when a pitch from reliever Yunior Montero strangely got lodged in the pads of catcher John Bormann. That made a it a 9-8 game.
Sam Street, who induced the game-ending double play, got the win. Mets reliever Alex Palsha took the loss.
Tebow went 3 for 5 with three singles, one run and one RBI.
Anthony Dimino reached base four times on two singles and two walks. Jhoan Urena was 2 for 5 with his 30th double of the season. McNeil and Paez also had two hits apiece.
Reliever Adonis Uceta, who was promoted from Columbia earlier in the day, made his debut and struck out three of the four batters he faced.
Bradenton's Tolman had a great day at the plate as well as the field. He went 3 for 5 with a double, two runs and two RBI.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 30, 2017
- Blue Jays Rally with Six-Run Eighth Inning - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Early Runs Help Stone Crabs Cruise to 7-1 Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Hernandez Homers for Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Seven-Run 7th Leads T-Yanks to 9th-Straight - Tampa Yankees
- Hernandez Powers Threshers to Walkoff Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Del Rosario Dazzles as Offense Lifts off in big Win - Fort Myers Miracle
- Yankees Beat Cardinals for 8th-Straight Win - Tampa Yankees
- Marauders Beat Mets on Game-Ending Diving Catch - St. Lucie Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.